When was the last time you listened to...

having just pulled this classic out for a spin:

616otFa%2BpbL._SS500_.jpg

I got to thinking that it might be a fun idea for a thread to remind the board of those special albums in your collection that you just haven't heard in a while!

So pull one out and remind us how good it is!

Diz and Getz was one of my first jazz lps and it still thrills me!

:tophat:

Planning to spin this Jug date later today...

61qL393Y4-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just rediscovered the OJC vinyl reissue which I purchased several years ago. Wanted to replace my rather battered copy of the original Prestige LP. Found that one when going through crates of LPs in a secondhand record shop. It looked better than it sounded and gave up on it after listening to it a couple of times.

Remember it as one of a non-essential but so pleasing sessions that were coming out of the RVG chain assembly at the time!

item_38.jpg

I listened to The Magic of Juju this morning and felt it doesn't hold up vis a vis some of Shepp's other Impulses of the period. I think the problem is that the texture of African percussion sets up an environment that isn't as conducive to dynamic interplay as a more standard (free)jazz rhythm section. Yesterday I listened to Life [sic] at the Donaueschingen Music Festival (MPS), and the interplay there is amazing (and it's one of Jimmy Garrison's finest hours).

item_38.jpg

I listened to The Magic of Juju this morning and felt it doesn't hold up vis a vis some of Shepp's other Impulses of the period. I think the problem is that the texture of African percussion sets up an environment that isn't as conducive to dynamic interplay as a more standard (free)jazz rhythm section. Yesterday I listened to Life [sic] at the Donaueschingen Music Festival (MPS), and the interplay there is amazing (and it's one of Jimmy Garrison's finest hours).

When it was hard-to-find it seemed like a bit of a holy grail, but I agree with you - the music is not as exciting as the cover or the title!

If there's a problem with the title cut on that one, it's not the African percussion choir, it's Shepp's then-relatively limited vocabulary and his penchant for episodic rather than narrative solos. He just didn't have the stuff then to play as long over that type of backing as he did.

Truth be, I've never found Shepp to be particularly effective in a generic, blowing, stretching-out environment. Give him a spotlight and a soliloquy, and damn, he can fuck you up. But just give him a tune and a "jam"...not so much, especially the longer he goes on.

I love the guy, always have, but I'm just sayin'...

Planning to spin this Jug date later today...

61qL393Y4-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just rediscovered the OJC vinyl reissue which I purchased several years ago. Wanted to replace my rather battered copy of the original Prestige LP. Found that one when going through crates of LPs in a secondhand record shop. It looked better than it sounded and gave up on it after listening to it a couple of times.

Remember it as one of a non-essential but so pleasing sessions that were coming out of the RVG chain assembly at the time!

perfect example - i have to pull this one out for a spin!

:excited: