Ronnie Scott and Tubby Hayes

Larry Kart

The original vinyl was awful - post-oil crisis rice krispie standard! I think I took copies back twice before I just accepted what I'd got. Love to have a CD version.

Really? No complaints at all with the sound of my LP copy, although Pye pressings could be somewhat 'iffy'.

Really, I'm afraid. And I bought it not long after release. Think I heard a track on something like the Radio 2 late night Sunday jazz programme.

another thumbs up for 'Serious Gold' Pye- not sure if this has seen a CD issue.

If it's Pye then it is now owned by Universal. Vocalion could release it.

BTW I had a surprise recently when watching a repeat of the British game show 321 on Challenge. Ronnie Scott's band plays Cantaloupe Island, and Scott even helps with the quiz afterwards. Here's the clip as a reminder of the days when a jazz band could appear on peak-time ITV in the middle of a crummy game show:

watch?v=U7Ep91L0QRY

And also check out Miles playing at Ronnie's in 1969 - supposedly his first television appearance - in terrible quality...

I guess the only reason that snippet survived was that it was used on some compilation program. The rest of the show (and the master tapes) were 'apparently' wiped by the Beeb.

I keep hoping that by some miracle, the BBC will unearth a previously unknown full copy. Too bad that Bob Monkhouse wasn't recording jazz on his VCRs <_< .

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 months later...

And also check out Miles playing at Ronnie's in 1969 - supposedly his first television appearance - in terrible quality...

I guess the only reason that snippet survived was that it was used on some compilation program. The rest of the show (and the master tapes) were 'apparently' wiped by the Beeb.

I keep hoping that by some miracle, the BBC will unearth a previously unknown full copy. Too bad that Bob Monkhouse wasn't recording jazz on his VCRs <_< .

I was there the night Miles played Scott's, we were also treated to a set by Cecil Taylor. They were recorded for a Jazz 625 series, but when the series was aired instead of complete sets they were broken up into individual numbers with a lot of tricky photography, most disappointing.

Incidentally, Spike Milligan was sitting just in front of us for the Miles set but left before the Taylor set started.

Edited by RayB

Get outta here!! (Big push to the chest like an Elaine WTF moment from Seinfeld).

This is the show that aired the Kessell/Burrell/Green performance! November 2 1969!

Followed by M. Davis...first television performance :g:cool:

Do you remember this MG?