Ben Webster Storyville box

romualdo

I'm going through a BW phase at present - listening to quite a bit of his material (Emarcy double & lots of his verve material)

Any recommendations re this 8CD set covering the mid 60's to the early 70's - european & some NYC material

Also, his Circle recordings from the mid 40's are on a Progressive CD -> looks interesting but is it worth getting?

What you absolutely need are the wonderful live recordings from one long night at the Jazzhus Montmartre, "Stormy Weather" and "Gone with the Wind" (initially spread on three LPs). Pure magic! And goosebumps galore... and the gruff, stomping swing... I love it when Ben spits out those seemingly incoherent phrases - there's so much drive in there, it always gets me! And when he follows up with a ballad, well...

The Storyville box is nice, but kind of a mixed bag. Lots of short sessions, some just one or two tracks, but also some brilliant stuff, from Copenhagen, from London (a while disc with Stan Tracey's trio at Ronnie Scott's - also available separately of course)...

The Holland sessions are very good (BN 2CD set, long OOP I guess) as far as late Webster goes.

The Storyville box must have ben discussed somewhere, but it seems not in its own thread.

What you absolutely need are the wonderful live recordings from one long night at the Jazzhus Montmartre, "Stormy Weather" and "Gone with the Wind" (initially spread on three LPs). Pure magic! And goosebumps galore... and the gruff, stomping swing... I love it when Ben spits out those seemingly incoherent phrases - there's so much drive in there, it always gets me! And when he follows up with a ballad, well...

Flurin

I presume that's the Black Lion session (Jan 65)

It's been rereleased on the budget Jazz Colours label (subsidiary of Black Lion?) 2CD's worth (approx 20 titles) - had these on my wants list for a while

I just love that Dig Ben box and return to it quite often. Like sipping into aged Armagnac. It goes right to the heart and the mind!

One more fine Storyville box!

I have it & agree!

I've got about half of the material on other sources, but the box remains on my want list for the portion I don't have. This was prime Webster.

Flurin

I presume that's the Black Lion session (Jan 65)

It's been rereleased on the budget Jazz Colours label (subsidiary of Black Lion?) 2CD's worth (approx 20 titles) - had these on my wants list for a while

Yes, Jan 30 & 31 (partly recorded after midnight).

Also have one of the LPs, which I got as a freeby many years back... wonderful music!

Jazz Coulours often does partial reissues of several LPs on one CD - sucks! But in some cases, they're straight re-issues of re-issues and hence alright (I've got the two Griffin discs and the fantastic Dudu Pukwana, but Webster I've got on Black Lion).