Overlooked/Ignored/Neglected

paul secor

Discussions of weather are overlooked/ignored/neglected by Brits.

Not always.

http://www.kindakinks.net/discography/showsong.php?song=390

Shows how out of touch Ray Davies was with the British character. Most Brits prefer to talk about Postmodernism or the immortality of the soul rather than the weather. The French admire us for it. What was it Napoleon once called us? 'A nation of philosophers'.

I thought he called you guys " A nation of shopkeepers" ... but perhaps you jest?

Yeah, we're a nation of weather forecasters. It's easy, 'specially in Wales. If you can see the other side of the valley, it's going to rain; if you can't, it's raining.

MG

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Goldberg, where do you live in relation to Port Eynon? I stayed there once and took a great walk along the cliffs to Rhossili and back. I think the Gower Peninsula is considered part of the Swansea area.

About thirty miles ENE of Swansea. Gower is south west of Swansea. I'm not sure where on the Gower Port Eynon is; I've only visited a couple of times, but the scenery and bird life is very good there.

MG

Hey Goldberg, where do you live in relation to Port Eynon? I stayed there once and took a great walk along the cliffs to Rhossili and back. I think the Gower Peninsula is considered part of the Swansea area.

About thirty miles ENE of Swansea. Gower is south west of Swansea. I'm not sure where on the Gower Port Eynon is; I've only visited a couple of times, but the scenery and bird life is very good there.

MG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Eynon

Looks beautiful!

Blues singer (though he could shout, too) Al Smith recorded 2 LPs for Prestige / Bluesville, one with backing from the Lockjaw / Shirley Scott group, but neither seems to have received much recognition. But there's much to like about both recordings.

Perhaps because its never been all that easy to find, THE RETURN OF HOWARD MCGHEE (Bethlehem, 1955), strikes me as being a relatively overlooked date. In fact, just about all of McGhee's Bethlehem dates (DUSTY BLUE, LIFE IS A JUST A BOWL OF CHERRIES) are worth more attention.

Finally, (acoustic) guitarist James Emery, a founding member of the String Trio of NY, but a fine composer and band-leader himself. Both of his late-90s Enja dates -- STANDING ON A WHALE FISHING FOR MINNOWS and SPECTRAL DOMAINS -- while rather different from one another, are superb.

Glad Al Smith has been mentioned, Hear My Blues on Prestige is really good.

I've got and enjoy all those Howard McGhee on Bethlehem, Life Is Just A Bowl of Cherries is the least played.

A couple of excellent Bethlehem Japanese TOCJ cds that are almost never mentioned are -

Frank Minion - In The Soft Land Of Make Believe - look at the band line up !

284331_1_f.jpg

and

Bobby Scott - The Compositions Of Bobby Scott

099107.jpg

John Murtaugh

Sax (Tenor)

Frank Rosolino

Trombone

Bobby Scott

Piano, Conductor, Composer

Max Bennett

Bass