Count Basie & Chuck Berry

lipi

In perusing the booklet for the Hip-O Chuck Berry "Johnny B. Goode: His Complete '50s Chess Masters" set, I learned something interesting. Check out the (possible) personnel for the May or June 1956 session at the Camel Rock 'n' Roll Dance Party:

"Possibly: Count Basie (p), Eddie Jones (b), Sonny Payne (d), Wendall Culley or Reunald Jones or Thad Jones or Joe Newman (tp)"

Awesome! I'll have to take the writer's word for it that there's a piano and a trumpet in there. All I hear are electric guitar and some drums.

In perusing the booklet for the Hip-O Chuck Berry "Johnny B. Goode: His Complete '50s Chess Masters" set, I learned something interesting. Check out the (possible) personnel for the May or June 1956 session at the Camel Rock 'n' Roll Dance Party:

"Possibly: Count Basie (p), Eddie Jones (b), Sonny Payne (d), Wendall Culley or Reunald Jones or Thad Jones or Joe Newman (tp)"

Awesome! I'll have to take the writer's word for it that there's a piano and a trumpet in there. All I hear are electric guitar and some drums.

In the movie Jazz on a Summer's Day Chuck Berry is seen on stage at the Newport Jazz Festival playing with a crowd of jazz stars. I remember Max Roach was on drums and that he appeared to be laughing at Chuck's antics.

In the movie Jazz on a Summer's Day Chuck Berry is seen on stage at the Newport Jazz Festival playing with a crowd of jazz stars. I remember Max Roach was on drums and that he appeared to be laughing at Chuck's antics.

That's a great little scene! I didn't remember who was in it, but youtube to the rescue: looks like Jo Jones on drums.

That's a great little scene! I didn't remember who was in it, but youtube to the rescue: looks like Jo Jones on drums.

Possibly the last time Chuck played with a decent band :lol:

A little bit of the Chitlin circuit for those rich White fellas.

Bet they never went here;

or wanted too. Or were wanted too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oypAbJj-fEs

Edited by freelancer

You're right - it's Jo Jones, plus Jack Teagarden and Buck Clayton. Who's that on clarinet - is it Buster Bailey?

Edited by BillF

I hardly consider Chuck B. chitlin circuit quality - great composer, mediocre performer.

What about Little Richard? :g

Fact is Berry was a product of the chitlin circuit (who wasn't). Performance quality not withstanding. Mediocre by temperament and proclivity perhaps. Not by capacity.

I would also back in Chuck to get down with the best of them. Back in the day. He played a mean guitar.

Edited by freelancer

You're right - it's Jo Jones, plus Jack Teagarden and Buck Clayton. Who's that on clarinet - is it Buster Bailey?

No one has identified that clarinettist for me. (A quick look at some YouTube clips of Buster Bailey suggests it isn't him.)

What I cannot for the life of me fathom, is how Berry somehow rehabilitated himself in the public sphere (in the view of the public), such that you can now see his mug on the front cover of various "visit St. Louis" state department of tourism full-color magazines (overgrown brochures), and have regularly for the last 10 years. (I'm originally from St. Louis, and my folks would regularly pick up the 'tourist stuff' for when my wife and I would visit from Kansas City.

I'm talking about the (multiple?) incidents where he was caught videotaping underage women (teen girls) at his restaurant/club complex somewhere outside of St. Louis. For those only reading the Wikipedia article on Chuck (which more than gives him the benefit of the doubt), there (probably, imho) more to it. For instance...

http://performingsongwriter.com/chuck-berry -- gives this account (next paragraph is a quote)...

Berry had another brush with the law in 1989, when he was caught secretly videotaping women in the bathroom of his restaurant, The Southern Air. A former employee took him to court with a suit that alleged that the tapes “were created for the improper purpose of the gratification” of Berry’s “sexual fetishes.” Several women followed with similar class-action suits. Chuck denied it all. Shortly after The Southern Air was closed, the Feds raided his estate. Along with firearms and marijuana, a cache of videotapes was found, showing underage females in sexual poses. This kept Berry in court for over a year. Charges were finally dropped when the prosecuting attorney became embroiled in his own financial scandal.

The same source indicates some other underage shenanigans with a 14-year old girl around 1959.

I don't want to make more of this than it is -- but, still, it is what it is.

How one can do stuff like that (which I understand, is probably not totally uncommon), and still be an "advertising icon" for a state department of tourism, is totally beyond me.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I don't think vocally that he can touch Little Richard. And for that circuit, the voice is the key.

Weren't the instrumental Hammond combo's an integral part of the chitlin circuit as well?

Little Richard was/is a wonder.

I love his interview on the strange Hendrix bio/movie that came out not long after Jimi died. "I knew he was gonna be a star" "I knew he was gonna be a star"

Little Richard is remembered in Australia for touring here as part of some promoter's (Lee Gordon I think) Rock n Roll package tours of the late 50's early 60's?. On one of these tours Richard apparently saw the Sputnik or something and freaked out - having a God fearing moment. He is said to have taken all his stage gear and paraphernalia and thrown them all in the Yarra (our local river). He is said to have returned to America and denounced Rock n Roll for the church. I believe he often did this during his life. Being conflicted between the Church and Rock n Roll. Australian entertainment/early rock n roll people used to love telling this story. I wonder how true it is and how the man himself would recollect such events.

Edited by freelancer