Sandusky Investigation Findings

In a story that is getting almost no play in national media, Graham Spanier got himself a job working for the feds on national security issues.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

edit - this actually happened back in April. Does anyone know if anything changed about Spanier's plans to work on projects with the government after the Freeh report came out?

Local media are keeping very quiet about this, too.

And... Spanier is still a member of the PSU faculty - which is just plain wrong.

Per local sources (and probably some national as well), Erickson (PSU pres.) said that they accepted the lesser sanctions in order to avoid a 4-year death penalty sentence.

My take: I think they should have gotten the death penalty, on top of all the rest, and that the Big 10 should tell PSU goodbye. PSU regularly plays teams like Temple University's Owls and runs roughshod over them... I think it might be a good idea to bust them back down to the same level as the Temple Owls for a few years as well.

I used to find PSU football enjoyable prior to Paterno's huge push to get the team admitted to the Big 10. There were a lot of crazy alumni (spending huge amounts of money) coming to home games in those days (70s and early 80s), but it was still - mainly - a family picnic tailgating thing.

The number of apartments and townhouses owned by out-of-towners and used only on home game weekends is staggering. I can't imagine how many rental units would be available on and around State College if even half of those properties came back in the market.

Edited by seeline

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was actually a huge controversy over the town's name back in 1953 ... PSU wanted the town to change its name when the school was given university status. The university ended up calling its "town" University Park. It has a separate post office and Zip code.

As for the local housing market, it's really brutal... and nobody has come up with feasible ways to solve the many problems re. that as yet. State College is still a small town. It irks a lot of people (obviously, I'm one of them) that so many properties are tied up.

Edited by seeline

Re Spanier staying on the faculty, that's just how academic tenure is. If you think it's hard to boot a public school teacher, firing a tenured university faculty member, let alone a former president? Forget it. I doubt the board of trustees would be able to unilaterally fire Spanier even if it wanted to. There'd probably have to be some sort of faculty Senate vote and even a 50% majority might not be enough to remove him from the faculty.

Getting universities to change this system is like doing donuts in an ocean liner.

Re Spanier staying on the faculty, that's just how academic tenure is. If you think it's hard to boot a public school teacher, firing a tenured university faculty member, let alone a former president? Forget it. I doubt the board of trustees would be able to unilaterally fire Spanier even if it wanted to. There'd probably have to be some sort of faculty Senate vote and even a 50% majority might not be enough to remove him from the faculty.

Getting universities to change this system is like doing donuts in an ocean liner.

Perhaps. If convicted of a felony, then most professors do in fact lose tenure. But short of that, he'll probably stick around.

The trustees probably wield more power at a large public institution like PSU, but I doubt it's enough to oust Spanier from the faculty completely.

I was (in my thinking if not my words) being a bit sarcastic about the power of the PSU board of trustees, as it appears that a number of them were complicit in shielding Sandusky, per the Freeh report. And the current governor of PA is on the current board - not a good thing, I think.

Is a professor's tenure status primarily a money deal? Perhaps it would be easy to bar him from the campus and from teaching - and that the difficulty would be to cut him off financially.

It's primarily an academic freedom deal in principle and a job security deal in practice. As long as he can find a department whose faculty supports him, he can teach in that department. That's how Julius Lester ended up teaching in Judaic Studies at U. Mass after African-American studies would no longer have him.

Edited by Pete C

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Jerry Sandusky is distraught over the NCAA penalties issued to Penn State's football program for the school's handling of his child sexual abuse scandal and maintains his innocence as he awaits sentencing, his defense lawyer said Wednesday.

Attorney Joe Amendola told The Associated Press in a phone interview that Sandusky told him that even if people believe he is guilty of the crimes for which he was convicted in June, it would be "ridiculous" to think Penn State administrators engaged in a cover-up....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PENN_STATE_ABUSE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The head of their football program (among others) covered up, which allowed Sandusky to carry out raping young children and was convicted on 45 counts....these freaking idiots are crying foul and lawyering up on a matter that is not subject to appeal.

The clueless aspect of these people and the gall they have to keep shoveling this manure is beyond imagination. May the football program suffer as many years as Sandusky gets sentenced. The football 'culture' there is so out of wack, there cannot be any amount of punishment to these bafoons that's enough.

People who want to play college football can do so elsewhere.

"A group of former Penn State players, led by former quarterback Michael Robinson, has notified the NCAA that it intends to appeal the harsh sanctions placed upon the football program for the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

Paul V. Kelly, an attorney for former Nittany Lions quarterback Michael Robinson and seven others who played for Penn State at some point during the 14 seasons in which the NCAA vacated victories, sent an intent to appeal letter (PDF) to the NCAA dated Aug. 7.

A Penn State trustee has sent a similar letter to the NCAA, though the governing body for college sports has said the sanctions are not subject to appeal."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8245600/former-penn-state-nittany-lions-players-intend-appeal-ncaa-sanctions

Edited by Mike Schwartz

breaking from radar online

"By David Perel - Executive Vice President/Managing Editor Radar

New explosive child sexual abuse charges against Jerry Sandusky and Penn State are being investigated by federal law enforcement officials, RadarOnline.com has learned exclusively.

Both the FBI and a criminal investigative division of the United States Postal Service are looking into the possible existence of a pedophile ring that involved Sandusky sharing boys with other men connected to Penn State. Sandusky was recently convicted on 45 counts of child sexual abuse."

from cbs news

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Penn State's board of trustees voiced its support Sunday for university president Rodney Erickson and the NCAA sanctions he accepted in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal.

Board chairwoman Karen Peetz issued an opening statement during Sunday evening's conference call that says in part:

"I absolutely support President Erickson and his decision to accept the (NCAA) Consent Decree as the only real option.....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8263048/penn-state-nittany-lions-board-signals-support-president-rodney-erickson

Middle States Commission issues warning

"

Monday, August 13, 2012

The Middle States Commission on Higher Education notified Penn State President Rodney Erickson on Aug. 8 that it has issued the University an accreditation warning based on information contained in the Freeh Report and the binding consent decree with the NCAA. The commission also stressed that Penn State’s accreditation remains intact.

"We must be clear about what this warning means so there are no misunderstandings," said Blannie Bowen, vice provost for academic affairs, who also is the University’s accrediting liaison officer. "This action has nothing to do with the quality of education our students receive. Middle States is focusing on governance, integrity and financial issues related to information in the Freeh report and other items related to our current situation."