Jeffcrom in Columbia, SC

jeffcrom

I don't know if any O board members live in the Columbia, South Carolina area, but if so, you are invited to hear me play with an old friend, bassist Ben Gettys, on Friday August 24 at Conundrum Music Hall. Ben and I have played together, off and on, for almost 30 years. We'll be playing a bunch of my free-jazz-ish orignals, plus some Ornette and even a Cecil Taylor piece. (How often do you hear that?) Our friends Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel, an improv duo that is exactly what the name says, are also on the bill; we'll probably play some quartet music as well.

549524_378950132173006_610210604_n.jpg

Edited by jeffcrom

Yep. I just decided that I wanted to learn this tune one night. It helped that the tune we're playing, "After All," was recorded in two takes by CT. I was able to "average" them and get pretty close, presumably, to what he had in mind.

But maybe I should publish The Unreal Book, full of Cecil Taylor, Roscoe Mitchell, Evan Parker, Derek Bailey, and Anthony Braxton tunes. It should sell thousands of copies at Berklee, right?