New James Moody

medjuck

Heard this one last night. Produced & arranged by Bob Belden. A little different, not always a straight blowing date, but more Moody as featured soloist in a variety of settings, which at times are almost Shorter-ish it seemed to me. Moody sounds comfortable and engaged. No surprise there.

I liked it. Don't know if it's necessarily a "classic" James Moody album, probably not, but I think it will reward repeated listenings. Certainly not a drag, that's for sure!

Worth checking out unless you only want "a certain thing", I'd say.

Speaking of Wayne Shorter-ish, Moody does the Main Title from Glenngary Glenn Ross, which Wayne originally did for the soundtrack. Moody sounds great on this, and there's a drummer named Tony Pinciotti (sp) who's one to watch out for. He played with Ira Sullivan at Blue Lake in the 1990's when he was just a teenager and sounds to have evolved a unique voice out of, maybe, Tony Williams. That's the cut I've been honing in on, but can't really speak for the album as a whole as of yet.

The last Savoy recording, Lou Rawls Sings Sinatra, featured arrangements by Benny Golson, and now here comes Moody with Belden. Good to hear some organization going into this music.