Duke Jordan

BruceH

Just picked up a CD of this a week or two ago, and am very pleased with it. I've always liked Jordan as a pianist, but never noticed this 1960 Blue Note before. It features Dizzy Reece and Stanley Turrentine, and strikes me as one of those many, many, unheralded Blue Notes that failed to make a splash at the time but are just incredibly SOLID. I particulary like the uptempo tracks---"Squawkin'," "Split Quick," the title track. All compositions are by Jordan, and there are two bonus tracks, both of them good. (My copy has a white tray, so it may be a conn I didn't know about.)

Reactions? Thoughts? What say you all?

SOLID is the word for Duke. Incredible consistency, and consistent beauty. If he ever made a lousy record as leader, I sure haven't heard it.

A recommendation: Hunt down some of his Steeplechase recordings. The solo sessions, the "Duke's Artistry" date with Art Farmer, the "Duke's Delight" date with Charlie Rouse -- ahh, heck, just about anything. Treat yourself.

That white tray on your "Flight to Jordan" means it's from the Collector's Choice series, about 1994 or '95. They're straight reissues of CDs that BN had already yanked from the catalog.

"Flight to Jordan" came to me completely out of the blue, too, some five years ago - I was in Italy, and in that time they still had that "Blue Note Magazin", 18'000 Lira (those were the days...) for a CD (without liners, otherwise just as the usual editions) and a magazine which had more information on the music than the usual liners would have had...

I have ever since loved "Flight To Jordan"! A couple of very nice compositions, and Reece/Turrentine make for a good front line (revived on the Reece Conn)!

ubu

Once my wife blindfolded me with a trio track from this, and I didn't recognize Jordan. Besides telling me that I don't listen to that often enough, it tells me that Jordan is not as recognizable as other pianist of his generation.

The best Duke Jordan I have heard so far is on the Paris live session of Barney Wilen with Kenny Dorham.

Bruce,

There was a short thread on this one a while back where I chimed in about how great I think this session is. It is one that you don't hear discussed that often but I think it is absolutely great. When I listen to the progressions on this one I catch every once in a while that Duke is playing with the outside if you know what I mean. I do not believe anyone would characterize this one as out, or even in and out, but occasionally you hear him playing around with some very interesting stuff.

Given the date of the recording it is advanced in many ways IMHO. It is very subtle, but definently there. I really like this one and regret that Jordan did not stay State side to record more with Blue Note.

As an aside I had located a mint used copy of this at a local shop I frequent and posted that it was available. To my surprise no one was even interested :huh::huh: I guess everyone already knows what we know. :g:g

Great session.