quickest musical minds

...........seeming endless streams of ideas, often at breakneck speed.

to me, braxton is the quickest; bird vs. braxton--i don't even want to think about that. prez and threadgill are in there somewhere.

George Benson and Ronnie Cuber in that ridiculously hyperactive band with Lonnie Smith? Although I suppose the music is driven more by energy and fast chops than by nimble 'ideas' based improv? It's an interesting distinction though. Coltrane? But then people say even Coltrane is relying more on the Harmonic concept and the patterns and scales that go with it, rather than 'pure' melodic invention.

I love hearing Braxton play at fast tempos, also on standards and modal stuff. That 10foot saxaphone slows him down though :D

...........seeming endless streams of ideas, often at breakneck speed.

to me, braxton is the quickest; bird vs. braxton--i don't even want to think about that. prez and threadgill are in there somewhere.

George Benson and Ronnie Cuber in that ridiculously hyperactive band with Lonnie Smith? Although I suppose the music is driven more by energy and fast chops than by nimble 'ideas' based improv? It's an interesting distinction though. Coltrane? But then people say even Coltrane is relying more on the Harmonic concept and the patterns and scales that go with it, rather than 'pure' melodic invention.

I love hearing Braxton play at fast tempos, also on standards and modal stuff. That 10foot saxaphone slows him down though :D

that hard bop stuff brax was playing in the early 80s was scary fast and hard, and the ideas even faster..........i agree with the trane thoughts.

presumably, pianists would be fastest............

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Don't forget Sonny Rollins!

Ding. I think we have a winner.

Actually you might be right in terms of the amount of construction and invention in his longer solos. The Vanguard stuff (the LP selection of tracks, I mean) is a benchmark. A lot of his records don't really show what he can do though.

Yes. Admittedly, most of my understanding of the inexhaustible invention of Rollins is anecdotally validated by the opinion of others. Usually from his live performances. I haven't listened to nearly as much Rollins as I have Coltrane. Indeed the 'legend' of Rollins seems based on these very qualities in performance. I never really think of him as a speedy player though, the way I do Griffin. Even if there's probably a ton of recorded evidence that he is if he wants to be.

Tal Farlow is another one notorious for his tempo's, but I don't consider him a master of melodic invention so much, same way early Benson wasn't.

Who are the Piano players that embody these qualities? I suppose Oscar Peterson is yet another that falls into the fast but generic category as well?

Edited by freelancer

Actually you might be right in terms of the amount of construction and invention in his longer solos. The Vanguard stuff (the LP selection of tracks, I mean) is a benchmark. A lot of his records don't really show what he can do though.

That's the conundrum of Sonny Rollins- his recordings, for the most part, don't do him justice. When I was listening to jazz as a 17 year old in 1972, I had the good fortune to see him a number of times at the Village Vanguard and I was utterly blown away by how he could play a long solo that was packed with ideas and could suddenly shift into something else.Of course in the middle of one of these amazing solos he'd quote a standard or a hoary pop tune. It was genius at work.

Yes. Admittedly, most of my understanding of the inexhaustible invention of Rollins is anecdotally validated by the opinion of others. Usually from his live performances. I haven't listened to nearly as much Rollins as I have Coltrane. Indeed the 'legend' of Rollins seems based on these very qualities in performance. I never really think of him as a speedy player though, the way I do Griffin. Even if there's probably a ton of recorded evidence that he is if he wants to be.

Tal Farlow is another one notorious for his tempo's, but I don't consider him a master of melodic invention so much, same way early Benson wasn't.

Who are the Piano players that embody these qualities? I suppose Oscar Peterson is yet another that falls into the fast but generic category as well?

i agree---

I'm going throw out a name that people don't think too much about, but Thad Jones has always struck me of having a very musical mind. Granted there are no breakneck speed solos going on, but there is always such a graceful, musical feel to what he plays, and I find him very creative.

I'm going throw out a name that people don't think too much about, but Thad Jones has always struck me of having a very musical mind.

Good call. Thad Jones as a player was often quite startling.

If we're talking about simply a quick mind, one that responds to the moment without hesitation and seemingly being able to play the future as if it had already happened, I submit Plugged Nickle-era Wayne shorter & peak-from Warne Marsh. And actually, Herbie Hancock from time to time, especially as accompanist. Hell, that whole Miles Second & Lost Quintets arc. The live recordings, especially of the Lsot Quintet show an incredible amount of "in/of the moment" inspiration that's expressed w/o hinderance (or so it sounds).