Jazz music term "Pushoff"

Stonewall15

In the notes for the Prestige label Sonny Rollins "Moving Out" CD the term "Pushoff" is used for the song "Swingin' For Bumsy". "Pushoff" apparently is a short bridge between solos and I have never seen it used before. Are there any other examples of the "Pushoff" bridge being used? Listening to the song the "Pushoff" bridge smoothly allows for the transition between solos and I think it would be used in other sessions. I also wonder if this is rehearsed or not.

More commonly referred to as a "sendoff." The word "bridge" implies something else entirely. Yes, it was rehearsed.

Sometimes a sendoff can be a little ensemble figure that is within the form of the tune or, as in this case, in between choruses.

Is that what Louis Armstrong used to call a break? It appeared in lots of his big band recordings.

MG

Any other examples come to mind?

Hearing the description of how it works on Night in Tunisia, I'm sure I've heard a few other tunes that have similar interludes -- though maybe in some cases I may be remembering some kind of simple (even static) vamp, that hardly qualifies. I'll have to keep my ears open as I'm listening through my collection, and see if any jump out at me.

The only album I can think of, off the top of my head, that might have a tune or two with something like this is Jimmy Woods' "Conflict!". I'll have to listen, and report back.