Syreeta - One To One

JSngry

SYREETA_ONE_TO_ONE%20revised.jpg

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/soul-exd.asp?id=3834

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=yz5syj9fx4&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dsyreeta%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

Collaboration between Syretta & Leon Ware, lush, sensual arrangements, slinky-ass grooves that don't quit, chord changes that could - and do - go off into unexpected places at unexpected times, freakin' wonderous vocals and in the end, one big WOOOOEEEEE!!!!!

If that sounds in the least beat appealing, carpe diem. Like a big dog! Because it ain't ever gonna be any better than this.

This one is so good in so many ways. If you like the later work of Marvin Gaye (and I know you do, Lon), this one fits right in there, overall. Not quite as consistent in terms of "all killer, no filler", one or two songs are a little...slumpy, but other than that, there rest just soar.

This one is so good in so many ways. If you like the later work of Marvin Gaye (and I know you do, Lon), this one fits right in there, overall. Not quite as consistent in terms of "all killer, no filler", one or two songs are a little...slumpy, but other than that, there rest just soar.

Is this the one with the remake of Born Again?

And I see it's not.

It's this one...

Edited by freelancer

This album was pretty obscure back in the day, not a hit at all, not even a cult buzz like her first two got, came and went. I didn't even really remember it until it got blogged about a year ago (a Japanese CD issue, the only CD issue of the album until this one, they say), and really took to it right away. So when a legit reissue cam out, yeah, I jumped on it.

Leon Ware is such a unique talent himself, as was Syreeta. The collaboration might not have worked, two such idiosyncratic talents combining, but yeah, it works.

Also deserving rich credit is arranger Dave Blumberg, who here works like a "next level" David Van de Pitte. His work on "I Don't Know" and "Don't Cry" is "beyond category", like the man used to say.

Oh, Gary Bartz is here (and there), btw. I know that's not a big draw for any number of people for any number of reasons, but he brings an immediately identifiable voice with a certain tanginess that is perfect for the situations in which it is deployed. A "non-jazz" player would not sound this way, could not sound this way.

Been playing this all day...gets better every time....

And you're welcome, Jon!

Checking the track list, I recognize the song "Tiki Tiki Donga" from a compilation series I collected. That song is a little clunky lyrics-wise, but definitely has a really nice groove to it. Maybe I'll like the other tracks more.

Checking the track list, I recognize the song "Tiki Tiki Donga" from a compilation series I collected. That song is a little clunky lyrics-wise, but definitely has a really nice groove to it. Maybe I'll like the other tracks more.

Definitely one of the two lesser cuts on the album, imo (the other being the tune with Stevie). YMMV, of course.

Mighty fine album ... I guess after all, the internet isn't my friend any longer in this case!

Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome, but remember that the internet was the friend who first introduced you (and me).

So...the internet is still my friend, and now it's the friend of Cherry Red Records www.cherryred.co.uk as well!

Edited by JSngry

Mighty fine album ... I guess after all, the internet isn't my friend any longer in this case!

Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome, but remember that the internet was the friend who first introduced you (and me).

So...the internet is still my friend, and now it's the friend of Cherry Red Records www.cherryred.co.uk as well!

So it's a vinyl rip? Legit? I think last time I asked about Cherry Red being legit or not, I got beat up by those who seem to know better, but the 'teefski I got (my lone Cherry Red) definitely screams "PD!" in my face, so ... but then Syreeta's album isn't fifty years old yet, so ... what do I know, I will just get it.

They have a whole series of authorized Motown (and other) things, it appears, coming out on on the SoulMusic Records label.

http://www.soulmusic.com/Index.asp?s=5&T=8

A lot of this is pretty "deep" material, not in terms of quality, but it terms of catalog and popularity. Stuff that I would (and sometimes have) jump all over from a blog to see if it'd be worth a buy if/when a legit reissue hit, like this one.

Actually, reading the back of the booklet, it looks like Cherry Red might just be bankrolling Soul Music Records. so Cherry Red themselves might be shady and this is a play towards "respectability" or some such. Who knows?

I hope this is legit though, this issue. I'd not have paid for it otherwise.

I will say this though - although there is a credit for remastering, it sounds to me like it might not be so much work put into it. Not that it detracts from the music, but...crisper and cleaner sounds like it was there to be had if the time and money (and skills) was there to get it. Certainly not a deal-breaker, though!

• 1 month later...

Just go my CD - and it's in the player right now. Very, very good music!

Thanks for the heads up again, Jim! Looks like a very nice presentation, though I'm too tired to read the notes ... but couldn't they have given the full credits from the back cover again in legible size?