NBA 2012 -- 2013

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news in The Conference That Doesn't Matter Anyway Because We All Know What LeBron's Going To Do In Mayâ„¢, I hear the second-best team in Los Angeles has hired Mike D'Antoni for his next job getting mercilessly abused by superstar players coaching.

:rofl: Last night in Memphis (which is a good team, probably also better than the Lakers) was an example of the rare way Miami can lose a game. They could still threaten the season record for wins though.

I gotta give Phil credit for being smart enough to realize the odds were long that the Lakers can even get past the 2nd round of the West let alone win a title. And sure it was while trying rebuild after the post-Shaq blowup but it did take 3 years just to reach the finals when came back after Rudy's 1/2 year. So it's not like just by sitting in the high chair that the Lakers automatically win titles when Uncle Phil comes back. I hope stuff leaks out as far as if he really was asking for partial ownership and how funny it would have been to hear Little Jimmy Buss stomp & swear to daddy Buss begging to keep credit-stealing Phil away (hey, we all have our fantasies about the franchise flushing itself into oblivion). At least Kobe & Nash are happy and since they weren't going to win squat anyway (or play defense for anyone) at least they'll be fun to watch. Well, if any of the old farts stay healthy to play that is. If they can find or develop another useful bench player (ideally 2 more) they'll be more than entertaining, though that seems to have been a sore spot for them for awhile in finding those kind of contributors.

The question of the evening is: Who will appear first for his team, Andrew Bynum or Mike D'antoni? Geesh, what was the big hurry? D'antoni is recovering from knee replacement surgery, and he can't even coach for a couple of games -- it's not like the Lakers were in competition with anyone else over D'antoni's services....

I think D'antoni would have to wait to fly for about 4-6 weeks after knee replacement surgery because of the possibility of blood clots. I can't swear to that though as I left pre-med 31 years ago. :) As far as comfort thank goodness he doesn't have to fly coach! I read Bynum may not suit up until January (another source suggests maybe mid-December). Someone just tried to trade him to me in fantasy for Lillard. I declined.

Edited by Quincy

I didn't like the idea of trading for Bynum last summer and I like it even less now. I'm thinking January is being optimistic. I doubt if he will ever suit up for the Sixers. It reminds me of when they traded away Moses Malone for Jeff Ruland. Ruland's knees were shot and he retired after playing only 29 more games(18 as a Sixer). The only good thing about the Bynum trade is that we got out from AI's contract and Bynum is only costing us a year. Still this season is a waste. No way they can knock off Miami or Chicago with this lineup.

EDIT: Ruland first retired after playing just 5 games for the Sixersin the 1986-87. In 1991-92, Ruland made an aborted comeback, playing 13 games for the Sixers before suffering an Achilles injury. He ended his NBA career in 1992-93 by playing 11 games for Detroit.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I can't for the life of me understand why there is pressure on the Lakers to win NOW. They've won like, what, 10 titles since 1980 (more than any other team in that timeframe). C'mon now, D'Antoni's already been a victim of real pressure to win now in NY. This will be a cakewalk for him by comparison. Hell, Kobe's already knighted him an "offensive genius". At least one of those words is correct, btw. The Knicks, who are and always will be the flagship franchise of the NBA, haven't won anything since 1973 despite MJ's best efforts to hand them one!!! The only things worse than self-entitled, whiny Yankee fans are self-entitled whiny Laker fans.

Edited by JETman

I can't for the life of me understand why there is pressure on the Lakers to win NOW. They've won like, what, 10 titles since 1980 (more than any other team in that timeframe). C'mon now, D'Antoni's already been a victim of real pressure to win now in NY. This will be a cakewalk for him by comparison. Hell, Kobe's already knighted him an "offensive genius". At least one of those words is correct, btw. The Knicks, who are and always will be the flagship franchise of the NBA, haven't won anything since 1973 despite MJ's best efforts to hand them one!!! The only things worse than self-entitled, whiny Yankee fans are self-entitled whiny Laker fans.

Self-entitled, whiny Laker fan here: Yeah, that's real pressure in New York -- to make the playoffs. I'll take pressure to win a championship over playing .500 basketball to squeeze into the 8th spot any day, night, and year.

Self-entitled, whiny Laker fan here: Yeah, that's real pressure in New York -- to make the playoffs. I'll take pressure to win a championship over playing .500 basketball to squeeze into the 8th spot any day, night, and year.

You're not addressing my initial concern. Why the drama and panic to win NOW when you've got 10 to hang your hat on in the last 32 years??? Is an almost 1/3 championship ratio not enough for you? Does Kobe's legacy really ride on having 6 titles versus 5??? It's incredibly easy to react the way you're reacting to my post. But, I don't think I told any lies or said anything particularly offensive. It's only sports, ya know.

Being the most important franchise has absolutely nothing to do with success.

I know. that's why they look a bit like the CUBS of the NBA to me.

You're making a common mistake, and your petulance doesn't help matters. The Knicks are the only team to consistently sell out despite their "looking like the CUBS of the NBA". Spike's paying like 3 grand for his courtside seats these days. With all the notoriety and money the Knicks bring to the NBA, if they sink, the league sinks. Ask Stern, or any NBA Commissioner for that matter. The Knicks are a "protected" franchise. The league's financial success rides on the financial success of the Knicks. Deal with it.

You're not addressing my initial concern. Why the drama and panic to win NOW when you've got 10 to hang your hat on in the last 32 years??? Is an almost 1/3 championship ratio not enough for you? Does Kobe's legacy really ride on having 6 titles versus 5??? It's incredibly easy to react the way you're reacting to my post. But, I don't think I told any lies or said anything particularly offensive. It's only sports, ya know.

No, it's not enough, ask the players because that is what it comes down to -- the players. They are the ones who want to win now, it's their legacy that is involved, and they are the ones putting pressure on themselves to win, and believe me, Kobe is desperate to pass MJ in the number of championships. We, as fans, just go along for the ride.

As long as the Knicks have Dolan as the owner, they're not going anywhere. How can a franchise that's won, what? two championships? be the flagship franchise for the NBA? the Houston Rockets have the same number for crying out load. How can the NBA financial success be tied to the Knicks, when they have not done a thing in ages, were in the finals way back when, and that by general consensus was the worse played final ever, and the money been flowing for the NBA despite the ineptitude of NY. The Knicks are just the Orlando Magic with a good press agent.

No, it's not enough, ask the players because that is what it comes down to -- the players. They are the ones who want to win now, it's their legacy that is involved, and they are the ones putting pressure on themselves to win, and believe me, Kobe is desperate to pass MJ in the number of championships. We, as fans, just go along for the ride.

As long as the Knicks have Dolan as the owner, they're not going anywhere. How can a franchise that's won, what? two championships? be the flagship franchise for the NBA? the Houston Rockets have the same number for crying out load. How can the NBA financial success be tied to the Knicks, when they have not done a thing in ages, were in the finals way back when, and that by general consensus was the worse played final ever, and the money been flowing for the NBA despite the ineptitude of NY. The Knicks are just the Orlando Magic with a good press agent.

Despite rarely reaching the NBA Finals, the Kinicks make more money than any other NBA franchise. That's how. Dolan may be a dope, but he's tied to one of the richest conglomerates in these here United States. As such, he's got MUCH deeper pockets than the Busses and Cubans of the world. If you can't be convinced, let me wallow in my ignorance.

Despite rarely reaching the NBA Finals, the Kinicks make more money than any other NBA franchise. That's how. Dolan may be a dope, but he's tied to one of the richest conglomerates in these here United States. As such, he's got MUCH deeper pockets than the Busses and Cubans of the world. If you can't be convinced, let me wallow in my ignorance.

No one is saying that the Knick aren't loaded with money, Dolan reeks with it, and good for him and the Knicks. To my mind, a flagship franchise is about more than money, it's about how an organization is run, and right now, neither the Lakers or Knicks are being run well. When it's all said and done, the real flagship franchise of the NBA might be San Antonio, quietly efficient, owner in the background, well coached, the players don't seem to get into trouble, I'd take that kind of franchise any time.