Howard McGee - Cubop City

scoos_those_ blues

I also love that Afro Cuban recordings of Maggie.

My first encounter with it was the Spotlite LP "Afro Cubop". Those are really groovy live recordings with the Machito Band starring Howard McGhee and Brew Moore. "Maggies Blues" is great, dig all the high notes Maggie plays, and how he quotes "Move". The longest track is about 8 minutes and has some exchanges of ideas between Maggie and Machito´s trumpet player Mario Bauza.

And dig Brew Moore: He was a guy who was deeply influenced by Lester Young, but could play anything, that afro cuban stuff and all that ultra fast bop stuff with the fastest company (Bird, Miles, Fats), without loosing his Lestorian sound and phrasing.

On the second side of that album I mentioned, there´s some rare Bird with afro cuban surroundings. The sound quality is not so great, but it´s really a fun listenig to it. Much better than the better known "South of the Border" things Bird did for Verve......

"crude"...what is the frame of reference? That's what determines any relativistic judgement, no?

I mean, some people still think that a drum set is crude and that a beat itself is vulgar. Don't think that's what we're looking at here, but if "African" = "primitive" or some such is in the mix (and again, not saying it is, but I don't know one way or the other), then I'd still not know what "vulgar" would/might mean in this context except in a sense that I cannot really comprehend beyond it being just another word.

The rhythm section is less vulgar than is the case on a lot of mambo recordings.

I don't know what this means.

It means the're 'great' but not 'fucking great'.

I don't know what that means either.

I do not find these comments helpful or particularly welcoming to what would appear to be a fairly new member to this Board. He has 11 posts and with comments like this I am sure we should not expect a willingness in the future for him to post anything further.

I took his comments to mean he had discovered a release that excited him. One of which I personally was not familiar and yes, I find his enthusiasm refreshing. This Board is slowly becoming completely dominated by a rather small group of self annointed "experts" about all things jazz. At the same time, many of these folks have acquired "moderator" status. Thus may I suggest that you delete all the many posts that you deem unworthy of your clearly superior knowledge and vaunted taste and simply have a private conversation with yourselves. I am sure you will be able to impress one another with those attributes, at least for a while. In the meantime, you can chase off all those who are just beginning to enjoy and explore jazz. Those who have come here to learn, share and hopefully contribute. Their enthusiasm and excitement can be infectious but surely you would not want any of that around here!

As a respected member of this community I would hope that you would consider your comments. Of course, maybe, " I just don't know what they mean."

Do you know what this means?

The rhythm section is less vulgar than is the case on a lot of mambo recordings.

If so, please explain.

If not, than I guess neither of us knows what it means.

You may not care to know, but I was - and since you bring it back up, still am - genuinely curious as to what the comment meant.

I would welcome the OP's elaboration if he/she cares to offer it.

If so, please explain.

You may not care to know, but I was - and since you bring it back up, still am - genuinely curious as to what the comment meant.

While we're on the subject, I would like to point out that you can count me as one of the "non-believers/followers" who NEVER knows what YOU mean.

If so, please explain.

While we're on the subject, I would like to point out that you can count me as one of the "non-believers/followers" who NEVER knows what YOU mean.

So when you get pissed off, it's about something you don't understand?

I know what THAT means! :Nod:

And you will be none the worse for it!

Seriously - I've not knowingly heard the Maggie record in question, and I don't know how much I really want to right now. But I would like to know about the "vulgar" rhythm section thing, just to know whether or not it's referring to something that may or may not stoke my desire to hear the date at some point.

If so, please explain.

So when you get pissed off, it's about something you don't understand?

I know what THAT means! :Nod:

Not pissed off, dude. Just laughing my ass off at a Texas white boy doing his best doublespeak and bad (as if there was a good one?) Vanilla Ice/Eminem imitation while calling out another poster for saying something HE doesn't understand. Laughable and sad all at the same time. Give it a rest already.

Laughable and sad all at the same time.

Suffering from emnotional exhaution, are we? It's ok, we all get that way sometimes.

At least y'all got some rain in November. We'll take some (but not all) of that here.

See what you can do to make that happen, ok?

Hiding behind more doublespeak, I see. Maybe it's time you deal with those self-esteem issues once and for all. How 'bout you have a nice lie down on the ole doc's couch. There, there, it will all be ok. I promise, the flashbacks will end soon.

Ok, I can follow your lead and continue to contribute absolutely nothing to trying to figure what is meant by "vulgar" as it applies to Latin rhythms sections, or I can let you have the floor (and the mop).

Take it, Jackson, it's all yours. And remember - piso mojado!

Why don't you say what you mean --- DIRECTLY --- just like you're imploring the OP to do? Morganized was the first to have the cojones (since we're now bilingual) to call you out. I'm just falling in line. You need a serious wake up call.

a Texas white boy

So where are you from? And what's your ethnicity? And how does that affect the validity of your opinions?

With all due respect, I suggest you stick to your own battles.

I don't know that I have any battles here to stick to. But the implied attack based on geography and ethnicity seems kind of, well, primitive. I don't see what those characteristics have to do with the validity of JSngry's opinions - or anyone else's.

a Texas white boy

So where are you from? And what's your ethnicity? And how does that affect the validity of your opinions?

With all due respect, I suggest you stick to your own battles.

I don't know that I have any battles here to stick to. But the implied attack based on geography and ethnicity seems kind of, well, primitive. I don't see what those characteristics have to do with the validity of JSngry's opinions - or anyone else's.

You don't know the history, so I wouldn't expect you to understand my comments. He does though, and that's really all that matters. It was never about questioning "validity" in opinions. It's about wondering where the beef is. Stop with the bs --- say what you mean and mean what you say. Using doublespeak to hide what you DON'T know gets old after a while. And be intelligent enough to avoid calling out another poster for sins you so frequently commit.

There's a history?

This, I did not know. But ok, having some perpetually pissed-off fucker repeatedly not liking how I say what I say and/or what I say constitues a "history". Just like my cable company probably has a history of my viewing. Like, wow. Big wow. It gives somebody something to do, so, good!

Other than that, who cares?

And now, can I get that "serious wakeup call" at 7:30 Am (CST). I'll need it then. But not one minute before!

Outta this one, guys, (this time for real) unless/until we can get some relevant explanation of the "vulgar" thing.