Coltrane on Atlantic - mono, stereo or reissue?

Daniel A

I have long wanted to get some of my favourite Coltrane Atlantics on LP (I have the Heavyweight Champion CD box), but I'm unsure as to what the best sounding issues are and if they're worth the extra money.

I happened to see what looked like a first pressing of Coltrane Jazz in a shop just before Christmas (will have to check the label more closely though); NM stereo copy, asking price was 50 euro (around $70) and it's most likely still left. A Rhino reissue would be a lot cheaper, though, so any advice would be appreciated.

If anyone's got an opinion regarding mono vs stereo Atlantics you're also welcome to post your thoughts.

In general, I've never been too thrilled with vintage Atlantic pressings. Unlike contemporaneous records by Contemporary, Blue Note, Prestige, RCA, and Columbia, which usually sound wonderful, Altantics just don't sound that great to me; and the quality of the pressing doesn't otherwise seem that high. I can't say that I have heard early Coltrane LPs, but I wouldn't pay such a price for an Atlantic LP.

Daniel - The one early mono Coltrane 'Atlantic' that I have is a 'Giant Steps' UK first issue on the London label. This one is a DG mono and its sound is easily the best of any Coltrane Atlantics that I have heard to date, so I am a convert to the monos. Very big, powerful sound - almost like a Blue Note of that vintage. I've got the 'Heavyweight Champion' box on vinyl and that sounds pretty good to my ears but if you can find those early monos in good nick for a reasonable price and especially on UK London, I say - go for it !

The first press US Atlantic issue for the 'Coltrane Jazz' would be black label, I guess?

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks for your input so far! I believe that a first US pressing of Coltrane Jazz would be with a "white fan" label.

A first pressing of Giant Steps would be black label for a mono issue and green label for stereo. There are "bullseye" label issues sold as first pressings as well; maybe there were two plants using different labels at the same time? I've read that there were two different pressing plants so that there may be black label mono first pressings both with and without DG (for some releases, not sure about Giant Steps).

Edited by Daniel A

• 1 month later...

In my experience the early 60's pressings sound good in an organic tubey sort of way. My copies are less than mint but still enjoyable (and can be had for much less money if you don't insist on mint). I also have have the Heavyweight Champion vinyl set, and while okay, they are not as involving as the earlier pressings. While looking for these be sure to pick up the cd versions from late 80's early 90's (before the remastering) which can be had for very cheap and sound great, imo better than the Heavyweight set.