Hamstring injury - Any advice from amateur trainers?

After losing about 30 pounds in the past 18 months or so, and using the stairmaster regularly for the last six months or so, I felt like my 47 year old body was ready for the rigors of a co-ed softball league.

I should have remembered that I have a history of leg injuries in softball.

So, two weeks ago was the first game, and despite pre-game stretching, the first time I tried to go first to third, I pulled my left hamstring. I iced and rested it afterwards and within about five days the soreness was gone. Next game was two weeks later (last night) and I felt good in warmups but obviously the hamstring wasn't fully healed. I felt it grab when I moved for a relay through from the outfield, and then when I had to run the bases, it once again tore in the same place (mid-thigh maybe slightly closer to the knee than the ass).

It didn't feel like as bad a pull as the initia injury but it feels pretty damn sore this morning. The problem is the next game is a week away.

Any advice on strengthening/rehabbing to be able to play in a week? Or should I face facts and just retire?

(At least I'd go out on a 2 for 3 night with two ribbies).

You should get it seen to.

It might be tore off the bone after re-injuring it.

You might need an MRI scan.

Wouldn't that kind of injury feel different - worse - than the original one? I'd think I would know if the muscle is torn off the bone vs a micro-tear as in a 'pull".

You should get it seen to.

It might be tore off the bone after re-injuring it.

You might need an MRI scan.

Wouldn't that kind of injury feel different - worse - than the original one? I'd think I would know if the muscle is torn off the bone vs a micro-tear as in a 'pull".

Yes, you're probably right.

Aussie rules footballers here usually miss about 3-4 weeks with Hamstring injuries, so if you rest it for that long and it doesn't feel normal again you should get it checked. Although as we get older the healing process seems to take forever :D

After losing about 30 pounds in the past 18 months or so, and using the stairmaster regularly for the last six months or so, I felt like my 47 year old body was ready for the rigors of a co-ed softball league.

I should have remembered that I have a history of leg injuries in softball.

So, two weeks ago was the first game, and despite pre-game stretching, the first time I tried to go first to third, I pulled my left hamstring. I iced and rested it afterwards and within about five days the soreness was gone. Next game was two weeks later (last night) and I felt good in warmups but obviously the hamstring wasn't fully healed. I felt it grab when I moved for a relay through from the outfield, and then when I had to run the bases, it once again tore in the same place (mid-thigh maybe slightly closer to the knee than the ass).

It didn't feel like as bad a pull as the initia injury but it feels pretty damn sore this morning. The problem is the next game is a week away.

Any advice on strengthening/rehabbing to be able to play in a week? Or should I face facts and just retire?

(At least I'd go out on a 2 for 3 night with two ribbies).

+1 on "rest" from a former recreational athlete (marathon runner, basketball, softball, adult rec. hockey until after the age of 40). The fact that you already reinjured it is a huge red flag. Not saying "retire", but playing again in only 1 week seems foolhardy. I never pulled any muscles until my late 30s, but all my experience since then says that pulls (esp. big muscles like hamstring) take a lot of time to heal, and not much beside rest works. Maybe you could apply some heat or soak in hot water in a few days, but that's not advisable until the internal bleeding (if any) is long gone.

Re. possible tears vs. pulls, best sign of tears is internal bleeding (hematomas or large black/blue patches). Unless a tear's really bad (you'd know), the same "rest" advice applies, only longer.

the correct answer is NEITHER: you can't play in a week but you should not retire. What you need to do is to get serious about developing your core strength (back, abs, hips, ass) in general AND your hamstrings in particular.

In the short term, if you can afford it (should be v. reasonable even out of pocket in Fla), go find a sports chiropactor who utilizes ART and Graston Technique; you may-- or may not-- be surprised how many major league players regularly get chiropractic and/or acupuncture treatment.

If you have good health insurance, go to an orthopedist or decent GP and get a prescription for physical therapy. Except for the financial burden, you should NOT hesitate to find a good PT.

If money is an issue, there are numerous things you can do on your own (you'll CONTINUE to do these things after chiro & PT btw); these will mostly involve exercise balls and latex bands in varying degrees of elasticity; light ankle weights-- for specific hamstring exercises, not for walking around-- will also be useful.

TEST your hammy effed-up-ness like this: lay on your stomach with your bad leg bent at knee at an 90 or so angle. Have your partner put their hand on your achilles/ankle. Now try to bring your foot closer to your 'tuchis' and when you SCREAM in surprising pain... you know you have a problem.

Also on the road to self-recovery you need to learn about 'trigger points' and-- in addition to bodywork with a chiro/PT-- how to self-massage them. Believe it or not, a LACROSSE BALL is great for this tho' beginners might start with a tennis ball instead.

Oh, you also need to buy a foam roller NOW. I don't watch baseball but if you follow soccer at all (for example), you'll see extremely fit dudes using these all the time and you should too.

http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/B003X4BMFW

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B003TKMSSK/

get started on this stuff ASAP and you'll not only fix the bum leg but likely greatly increase the likelihood of sparing yourself other muscle & tendon issues. (this isn't guaranteed but it's way way better than taking your chances with mere cardio exercise, which is GREAT but your heart is only one muscle of many.)

Edited by MomsMobley

If it swells or discolors...see the doctor ASAP.

No kidding.

No worries there - I'm pretty certain I don't have a tear, just a strain.

TEST your hammy effed-up-ness like this: lay on your stomach with your bad leg bent at knee at an 90 or so angle. Have your partner put their hand on your achilles/ankle. Now try to bring your foot closer to your 'tuchis' and when you SCREAM in surprising pain... you know you have a problem.

No scream, not even serious discomfort.

Does this mean I can just rest it for a few weeks? ;)

Seriously though thanks for the extensive advice.

A trip to the doc might be a good thing if they refer you for physical therapy, where they'll probably give you some sort of electrical stimulation to the injury. Pro jocks get back on the field sooner because they get the 'stim' treatment.

My experience is that it helps the healing process quite a bit.

Good advice, Mike.

I've used electrical stimulation for my lower back when I have tweaked or strained a muscle. It works like a charm for me.

If it swells or discolors...see the doctor ASAP.

No kidding.

No worries there - I'm pretty certain I don't have a tear, just a strain.

That is excellent news.

And congrats on losing the 30 pounds, too. Something I'm still working on myself.

Edited by GoodSpeak