Strange Dream

paul secor

I had an odd dream several nights ago that's stuck with me. I know that hearing about other people's dreams can be boring, but this one has some music connections, so I'll share it.

The dream began with me watching a TV set. B.B. King was playing a duet with a man named Sam Bush (but not the "newgrass" guy - this was an older musician.) B.B. was playing some of the most relaxed, subtly flowing guitar I'd ever heard him play. Sam Bush, whom I was unfamiliar with until this dream, was playing acoustic guitar and singing like a somewhat more pop-oriented Floyd Tillman.

The duet ended and I left the building I was in and walked down the street to a used bookstore. There I found an old music reference book that said that Sam Bush was a songwriter/musician who was active in the 1940s and 1950s. Next to this entry, there was a photograph of him playing piano.

I bought the book and as I was getting ready to leave, I saw a 78 recording by Von Freeman on the Goldband label on the wall. The price was $20 and even though I knew that such a recording didn't exist, and even though I didn't have a turntable that played 78s, I bought that also.

In the next segment of my dream, I was in a small auditorium where Von Freeman was playing with a band that included a secong saxophonist. I don't remember anything about the other musicians because Von Freeman was wailing his heart out. At one point, he left the stage and walked down the center aisle while playing a ballad. His sound was reflecting off the walls and the ceiling of the auditorium and at times he seemed to be accompanying himself.

After the concert, the hall emptied and I was the only person there. I walked backstage and found a reel to reel tape recorder that was connected to the sound system. It seemed to be abandoned and I felt that if it were left there, some imporatant history might be lost. So I took the tape reel.

The next segment of my dream was sometime after the concert. I was standing in a dimly lit room talking with Von Freeman. I asked him about the Goldband 78 and he said that such a record might indeed exist because he had played with a band in Louisiana in the 1950s and a guy had taken them into his recording studio and recorded them. As far as he knew, nothing had ever come of the tapes.

I told him about the reel of tape I had taken from the concert and asked him if he wanted it, since it was his music on the tape. He was considering that when I woke up.

Dreams are weird - sometimes soothing, sometimes unsettling - but always weird.