country artist george jones is dead

alocispepraluger102

Best GJ album/cd?

This one is really good, it's a 2-disc compilation containing tracks from all of the major labels he recorded for:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Essential-George-Jones-Country/dp/B0000028LN

There's also a repackaged version (the earlier one was in a longbox, the repackaged one is in a regular double jewel case):

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Spirit-Country-Jewel-Case/dp/B000009RBG

Unfortunately, both versions appear to have gotten pretty expensive. Not sure if this has been the case for a while or if it's a temporary situation brought on by his death.

Best GJ album/cd?

This one is really good, it's a 2-disc compilation containing tracks from all of the major labels he recorded for:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Essential-George-Jones-Country/dp/B0000028LN

There's also a repackaged version (the earlier one was in a longbox, the repackaged one is in a regular double jewel case):

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Spirit-Country-Jewel-Case/dp/B000009RBG

Unfortunately, both versions appear to have gotten pretty expensive. Not sure if this has been the case for a while or if it's a temporary situation brought on by his death.

THis is is tough call, but if I was to get just one I would choose the double cd Essential George Jones on Sony - the one with just the picture of his face on the cover (and not a bad haircut either). I think the selection of songs is even better (although there is overlap) than the one Dave is suggesting and the Sony one has great sound at about $15... covers many classics over many years and a bunch of labels.

Edited by skeith

Seems like GJ was a singles artist

As an "industry", Country is pretty much a singles music. One story/one song at a time. And Country radio still matters the way that it doesn't for other musics. Hit singles are still very much the name of that game.

But if you think about it, a song like "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is pretty much an entire concept album condensed into one song.

Since I became a fan rather late in the game, I do not know whether George Jones can be labelled a singles artist. In the last five years or so I have purchased cd sets that relate to his Mercury and Musicor years - not sure whether the material in those sets (which are wonderful by the way) came from singles or albums. I do have a couple of albums on cd by George including the wonderful "Golden Ring" with Tammy Wynette (the former Mrs. Jones) and several tributes to Hank Williams and I am sure there are more out there but perhaps much of his work has moved to the complete set type of agenda.

By the way, I agree with Jim about "He stopped Loving her Today" is pretty much an entire concept album in one song....but you could say that about "The Grand Tour" and a bunch of other songs. As an aside I think "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is given too much importance in the George Jones canon - wouldn't crack my top 10 George Jones songs. My three cents.

As an aside I think "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is given too much importance in the George Jones canon - wouldn't crack my top 10 George Jones songs. My three cents.

Not an entirely unreasonable conclusion, imo. But that was the song that I remember being highlighted in some Rolling Stone cover story that seemed to me at the time to be at or near the beginning of the "appreciation" of George Jones outside of the non-Country audience, and you know how that goes...

As an aside I think "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is given too much importance in the George Jones canon - wouldn't crack my top 10 George Jones songs. My three cents.

Not an entirely unreasonable conclusion, imo. But that was the song that I remember being highlighted in some Rolling Stone cover story that seemed to me at the time to be at or near the beginning of the "appreciation" of George Jones outside of the non-Country audience, and you know how that goes...

Yeah and I remember that he did that album Bartender's Blues in the 70s and the title song was written for him by James Taylor with James on backing vocals.... now that is one of those collaborations that REALLY works.... apparently James was a fan.

and Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers did a bunch of George Jones songs way before the non-country world caught on. Parsons always talked up George Jones.

George Jones had a gift, a stunning voice, which he choose how to use, sometimes well... Ray Price was less gifted but made himself a great singer by woking at it, and a great band leader too before he disbanded the Cherokee Cowboys, but it's true that he hasn't garned the widespread appreciation that George did.