LF Lee Konitz Roost 10" (don't want the vinyl)

I'm currently trying to sort out the Lee Konitz Paris session (Sept 17, 1953) that yielded the Vogue 10" (LD 169 - 7 titles) "Lee Konitz Plays"

& the Roost 10" (RLP 416 - 6 titles) "Originalee Konitz"

What makes things confusing is that both French & US releases were similar but the title names were changed

the session resulted in 14 titles, 11 of which have been released on CD

I'll Remember April (5 versions)

You'd be so Nice To come Home To (4 versions - only 1 version released on CD)

All The Things You Are (3 versions)

These Foolish Things (2 versions)

The Lord Discography has attempted to address this but there appear to be a few errors present (eg the roost LP is listed as having 7 titles)

What I need is a burn of an original Roost 10" LP - anyone out there have a copy they would like to digitalise for me? so I can compare those tracks to the ones I have

(3 versions of this session ie the recent 25CD Vogue box , the late 90's black digipak & the 95 BMG Konitz/Brookmeyer in Paris)

It will be for a good cause ie - updating/correcting the Lord Discography

That is GREAT music ... with a considerable discographical tangle.

I think I have it all - the Roost 10" LP (6 titles), The Prestige 12" LP (8 titles + Lee with Miles), and the Vogue CD (11 titles + Brookmeyer). Let me know if I can help (but I can't do a burn - sorry).

Q.

I have a 10" British Vogue LP LDE 060 called Lee Konitz: Jazz Time Paris. Recording date isn't given, but personnel are Henri Renaud, Jimmy Gourley, Don Bagley and Stan Levey. There are 7 tracks: "I'll Remember April", "Record Chop Suey", "Lee Tchee", "Young Lee", "You'd Be So Nice", "4 P.M." and "Lost Henri". Would this be the British version of the 10" Vogue LD 169 you mention? Wonderful music, by the way!

I have a 10" British Vogue LP LDE 060 called Lee Konitz: Jazz Time Paris. Recording date isn't given, but personnel are Henri Renaud, Jimmy Gourley, Don Bagley and Stan Levey. There are 7 tracks: "I'll Remember April", "Record Chop Suey", "Lee Tchee", "Young Lee", "You'd Be So Nice", "4 P.M." and "Lost Henri". Would this be the British version of the 10" Vogue LD 169 you mention? Wonderful music, by the way!

Those are the same titles as the French Vogue 10" release (7 titles in all - the UK releases tended to mirror their French counterparts) - what I need are the 6 US titles (Lee In Paree, Ballad For Ruth, You'd Be so Nice To Come Home To, I'll Remember April, These Things & Josh B'Gosh)

Thanks so far!! :)

Those are the same titles as the French Vogue 10" release (7 titles in all - the UK releases tended to mirror their French counterparts) - what I need are the 6 US titles (Lee In Paree, Ballad For Ruth, You'd Be so Nice To Come Home To, I'll Remember April, These Things & Josh B'Gosh)

Thanks so far!! :)

Now you got me puzzled, for example ;) ... These tracks are already partly there ...

"You'd be so nice( to come home to)" and "I'll Remember April" are indicated in the Vogue 10in UK listing by BillF above.

Which leaves 4. As for these, check out the liner notes of this music on "Ezz-Thetic" (Prestige LP 7827).

It says:

"I'll Remember April ... was issued in France as Lost Henri. Its Roost counterpart was called Lee in Paree."

"The two takes of These Foolish Things have been known as These Things, 4 P.M., Ballad for Ruth and Lee-Tchee in their various incarnations."

"Lee has long loved to pay All The Things you Are. When first released these versions were concealed under such titles as Josh B'Gosh, Record Shop Suey and Young Lee."

So this accounts for all of the six "US titles" you seem to be looking for, right?.

The liner notes of the vinyl reissue "Young Lee" on (French) Vogue 500105 seem to confirm these retitlings.

Seems to me like a case of alternate takes (or maybe even one and the same master on diffedrent releases) receiving various bogus titles through various releases. I haven't done any aural comparisons but To me it looks like they are covered by the two abovementioned LP reissues on Prestige and Vogue as they total the number of versions of the 4 "actual" tunes you list in your opening post.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great Work!

I thought I had it all. Looks like I need to search for "Young Lee" - which DOES have it all.

Q

here's more details re the Young Lee LP (Part of the Jazz Legacy Series #55)

http://www.discogs.com/Lee-Konitz-Young-Lee/release/4348752

plus I've tweaked/added more details to my session details

Konitz Paris 53 session.pdf

Amazing that that 80s Vogue Jazz Legacy "Young Lee" should become so desirable now ... :D

I had bought the Prestige LP eons ago (well, almost) and a couple of years ago, when on one of these vinyl buying sprees through special-offer bins I came across the "Young Lee" LP and picked it up cheaply (being away from my collection to check and partially being stumped by the (bogus) titles such as "Record Shop Suey" which I did not recall at all). At home I found out about the overlaps with the Prestige LP but decided to keep it anyway for the alternates. Seems like I did well in doing so ... ;)

Thanks, at any rate, Romualdo, for that handy one-glance overview of which is which. Will file it with my LPs.