how a swath of 20 somethings have tuned into 1920s pop

http://m.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2013/08/hot-jazz-new-york

"Gradually, over the past few years, more and more young jazz musicians—mainly in their 20s and even younger—have begun to play this music and, in the process, started again to refer to it by the name it was known by when it was new: Hot Jazz. Ninety years ago, dancers employed designations of temperature to distinguish between “hot” bands, like King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band or Jelly Roll Morton’s Red Hot Peppers and the “sweet” bands of the era, like Guy Lombardo’s."

Next big thing? A lot of little things that are "now", not "next", coming more or less together at some point. Critical mass, natural selection, all that.

Either that, or there's no room left for "big", which might not be a bad idea, or a very bad idea, or maybe both, depending.Depends on whether the space to put it in opens up or is forced open.

Either way, truly "big" is a matter of evolution, not manufacturing.

could this be indicative of a growing dissatisfaction with the superficial pop music young people are expected to listen to, a yearning for something a little more fulfilling than Bieberistic noise, or are folks just too far gone?

The pop stuff of today has gotten so bad today because everything is a drum machine or electronic drums. That's my main problem with it.

We just played a big band concert, and as I was walking through the crowd, I heard two guys in their late thirties talking about how the music their kids listen to today is literally making them sick.

They went on and on about how they're afraid they're going to do something violent to their kids if they play it in their houses...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/fight-america-classical-music-alive-article-1.1412829

"The quiet but terribly important battle to keep popular standards playing in our contemporary culture has just suffered a couple of setbacks.

This past Friday, Jonathan Schwartz left SiriusXM satellite radio after more than a decade as its most prominent popular standards host playing the music and songs of the 1920s, ’30s, ’40s and ’50s.

“SiriusXM, which has been very good to me, asked me to stay,” he said. “But I’m 75. I’ve been working very hard for a long time and it’s time not to do that.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/fight-america-classical-music-alive-article-1.1412829#ixzz2b1S66DZE"

The barbarians are always coming through the gates, the end is forever nigh.

I'm clueless about contemporary rock/pop and have no time personally for drum machines and the like. But I'm pretty sure that in amidst the commercially driven stuff there's plenty of original and innovative music that is just way outside my fields of reference.

Part of growing old gracefully is recognising that and not expecting new music to pander to your preconceptions. Start grumbling about how awful pop/rock is today and you turn into your parents/grandparents grumbling about The Rolling Stones or Dirty Boppers.

As for young people turning back to...Agree with those above that its unlikely to be more than a brief flirtation. Some listeners might get drawn in to exploring more widely. Most will have a bit of fun before moving on elsewhere.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I'm clueless about contemporary rock/pop and have no time personally for drum machines and the like. But I'm pretty sure that in amidst the commercially driven stuff there's plenty of original and innovative music that is just way outside my fields of reference.

Part of growing old gracefully is recognising that and not expecting new music to pander to your preconceptions. Start grumbling about how awful pop/rock is today and you turn into your parents/grandparents grumbling about The Rolling Stones or Dirty Boppers.

As for young people turning back to...Agree with those above that its unlikely to be more than a brief flirtation. Some listeners might get drawn in to exploring more widely. Most will have a bit of fun before moving on elsewhere.

I think you're right about many listeners and dancers, but for the people who are performing the music, I wonder....

Edited by seeline

I think you're right about many listeners and dancers, but for the people who are performing the music, I wonder....

it's a gig!!!!

The only effective way to address your perception of the crappiness of now would be in some kind of now way, whatever that might be, I have no clue...my 11 yr old listens to all kinds of stuff I just don't get, but has also developed a fascination with Ravi Shankar with no prompting from me that I can recall.

And I suspect the same happened to many of us. In 1974/5 I was almost totally absorbed in rock and the English take on Jazz-rock. Yet I developed a thing about Ella Fitzgerald. That grew into a liking for jazz vocals - as far as I can recall there wasn't a big jazz vocal/Rat Pack revival going on at that time. I think it was a chance hearing of 'It's Only A Paper Moon'.

My experience of kids at school suggests most are happy with one of the varieties of pop but can be quite open to other things in a superficial way if they bump into them via film etc.

But quite a few of the older ones - mainly boys - start to fixate on older rock, probably heard via their parents or grandparents collections. Quite a few Jimi Hendrix fans out there.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

My younger Grandson (12), whose name's James Page, has started guitar :) His karate teacher suggested he listen to Jimi Hendrix, in particular 'All along the watchtower', so he got me to find it on Youtube when he came the other day. His older brother said Chuck Berry, so I found him some Chuck Berry. Then I found him some Bo Diddley live and he was bloody MESMERISED! I REALLY didn't expect that.

MG