Caravan

Teasing the Korean

"Nine Feet Underground" (David Sinclair's contributions especially) was a life changing listen for me back in the day. Evyerthing up through 'Cunning Stunts' has a lot of worthwhile material. Rhey never really learned how to consistently do good short tracks, but excelled at the long ones.

So are 'In the Land of Grey and Pink' and 'Waterloo Lily'.

After that...

So the two I have and these two are the only ones I need?

No, you also need 'And The New Symphonia' and 'Cunning Stunts', and maybe some additional 70's live material (there's a lot of it out there).

"Nine Feet Underground" (David Sinclair's contributions especially) was a life changing listen for me back in the day. Evyerthing up through 'Cunning Stunts' has a lot of worthwhile material. Rhey never really learned how to consistently do good short tracks, but excelled at the long ones.

So are 'In the Land of Grey and Pink' and 'Waterloo Lily'.

After that...

So the two I have and these two are the only ones I need?

No, you also need 'And The New Symphonia' and 'Cunning Stunts', and maybe some additional 70's live material (there's a lot of it out there).

Yes. Get the New Symphonia record - listen carefully and you can hear me clapping! A rather wonderful weekend in London that started with King Crimson at the Rainbow and ended with Caravan at Drury Lane.

There are some nice sections on 'Cunning Stunts' but I never cared for the more rote 'rawk' parts.

Apart from the New Symphonia gig I saw Caravan 2 other times in their heyday. Once at Reading University (where I was a student) which was one of those concerts where everything just fell into place (apart from a bomb scare in the middle - these were the IRA years) and just had you beaming all night; and once in Oxford in late '75 with the 'Cunning Stunts' line-up where the new bass player (Mike Wedgewood?) really grated.

Probably sounds quiet different looking down the telescope the other way.

Rather than chancing it on other Caravan records go for the Hatfield and the North, Egg and National Health (or Henry Cow, though you are moving into more abstract territory there) albums of that same era which inhabit a similar world (and share musicians). There's a previous thread here:

Edited by A Lark Ascending