Some Autumn shows - UK/Europe

I've got a few nice shows coming up, so just wanted to share some details in case anyone finds themselves in the locale, and fancying some music..!

In just a few weeks, The Convergence Quartet rides again. This is Taylor Ho Bynum, Harris Eisenstadt, Dominic Lash, and myself...something of a release tour for 'Slow and Steady'...and I'm sure we'll have some copies in tow :)

The dates:

Oct 4 - Sibiu, Romania - Jazz and More Festival

Oct 5 - Ulrichsberg, Austria - Jazzatelier

Oct 6 - Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik

Oct 8 - London, UK - Vortex Jazz Club

Then later in October, and into November, I'll be playing with Louis Moholo-Moholo...here's the sort of thing we get up to.

In duo, we play

Oct 18 - Leicester, UK - Embrace Arts

Nov 2 - Brighton, UK - Unitarian Church (Safehouse)

Nov 18 - London, UK - Vortex Jazz Club (London Jazz Festival)

...and in a quartet with Jason Yarde (saxophones) and John Edwards (double bass):

Oct 20 - London, UK - Cafe Oto

Oct 25 - Sheffield, UK - Millennium Hall (Sheffield Jazz)

Also in the London Jazz Festival, I'm excited to be playing at The Forge, Camden, with my trio (Neil Charles, bass, and Tom Skinner, drums) on November 19. This performance will also contain a premiere of a new commission for the trio...

Later that week in the festival, I'll also be curating some late night sessions at the Vortex - that's Thursday 21 - Saturday 23 November...

I'm also on the road a bit with Mulatu Astatke in the next couple of months. We're at:

Oct 10 - Paris, France - Trianon

Oct 24 - Rome, Italy - Roma Jazz Festival

Nov 28 - Amsterdam, Netherlands - Bimhuis

Nov 29 - Rotterdam, Netherlands - Lantaren Venster

...finally, I'm at the Vortex on October 29th with Nick Malcolm's fantastic quartet, where we'll be recording live for BBC Radio 3's Jazz on 3...and at the start of December, I'll be on the road in the UK on an album release tour with Dominic Lash's similarly fantastic quartet...that one is Nov 30 - Falmouth; Dec 3 - Cambridge; Dec 5 - Sheffield; Dec 6 - Cheltenham; Dec 7 - Bristol; Dec 9 - Vortex...

...phew...

...at any rate, please do say hello if you fancy any of these (and of course PM me for any further details...)

Your Mulatu Astake gig got a nice plug form Richard Williams on his Blue Moment blog.

Ah yes - I just saw that! I really like Richard Williams' writing...very much enjoyed his 'Kind of Blue' book...

London bus scenario. No sign of you up this way for years and then you're in Sheffield twice before Xmas.

Looking forward to the Moholo Qt.

I know...I've been a really infrequent visitor to Sheffield, Nottingham, etc...I think Leeds and Derby are really as close as I've been recently...so very much look to righting things. It'll be great to catch up at the Moholo show!

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoying:

4787473.jpg

I've always liked solo jazz piano discs. But I have a special liking for those that don't just play standards or blues - favourites include Jarrett's 'Facing You', Westbrook's 'Piano', Bley's 'Open, To Love', the rare Stan Tracey solo recordings, Keith Tippett's many recordings, Schweizer etc.

This one fits beautifully in that tradition. Highly recommended.

(Apologies if that reads a bit fawning but I've enjoyed the record that much).