mesfen Posted October 20, 2013 Posted October 20, 2013 Are most if not all of the tracks on Hill's Mosaic MD7-161 Complete Bluenote sessions available in the individual cd releases? would these cd releases be: black fire, smokestack, judgement, point of departure, andrew!, pax, compulsion, and change? Quote
erwbol Posted October 20, 2013 Posted October 20, 2013 (edited) Yes, these individual releases cover all tracks of MD7-161. Smoke Stack sounds best on the Mosaic box imo. The Connoisseur is dreadful, the RVG bright but enjoyable. Edited October 20, 2013 by erwbol Quote
J.A.W. Posted October 20, 2013 Posted October 20, 2013 (edited) The big 1963-1966 Andrew Hill Mosaic included recordings released on these albums: – Black Fire – Smoke Stack – Judgment – Point of Departure – Andrew! – Compulsion – One for One; recordings reissued on Pax The remaining material on the set was indeed reissued on Change. [edit] erwbol's reply was posted while I was typing this post Edited October 20, 2013 by J.A.W. Quote
street singer Posted September 10 Posted September 10 I'm curious about the mastering on this set. I've seen it listed as being mastered by Malcolm Addey, which is what sparked my interest, but...the notes from the booklet specifically list it as "Transfers: Odea Murphy and Malcolm Addey." Not familiar with Odea Murphy. Anyone have any idea of how much involvement Addey had in the actual mastering of this set? Quote
jazzbo Posted September 10 Posted September 10 (edited) I don't have any specific helpful information other than to add I have many discs mastered by Odea Murphy and the sound is very good on these--a similar style to Malcolm Addey in that the nature of the playback is full and not at all strident. I've had this set since it was first released and find the sound to be quite good overall. Edited September 10 by jazzbo Quote
street singer Posted September 10 Posted September 10 Thanks, Lon. That information is helpful. Despite not having a definitive answer as to who exactly mastered this set, your opinion of the actual sound of the set is what counts! Also, it was your post about Black Fire on the SH forums earlier today that prompted me to look for a better digital version of that album than the RVG edition that I have. That's when I noticed Malcolm Addey's name attached to this set and became curious. His mastering work is top-tier, and always such a pleasure to listen to. Quote
jazzbo Posted September 10 Posted September 10 I agree about Addey's work, and I think his involvement here is prominent enough to contribute to the good overall sound. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.