Orin Keepnews

It was the Trustees Award, not the lifetime achievement award, who went to Van Cliburn.

Why not? I can think of a lot of other jazz producers who have less to their credit. I do not share all of his opinions and cannot approve of all of his decisions as a producer, but what would we have done in his place? One's for sure: without him some of the greatest jazz records wouldn't exist!

"One's for sure: without him some of the greatest jazz records wouldn't exist!"

Don't be too sure. Bill Grauer was the power behind Riverside, and many of the decisions Orrin now takes credit for were Bill's.

Before anyone suggests that I am this bitter old man who envies Orrin his Trustees Grammy,* I should mention that I was awarded one some 33 years ago.

*Don't laugh, I've heard that one a few times. :g

"Re:person I knew" was dedicated to Bill Grauer ? :unsure:

The title is a scramble of Orrin's name, as we all know. Orrin was, after all the session producer, at least in name. What's you point? If you are trying to say that Bill Grauer did not call the shots at Riverside, you are wrong. It wasn't called Bill Grauer Productions for no reason. Remember, too, that The Record Changer was Bill's publication. Unlike Orrin, Bill was content to stay out of the spotlight--he did not have the ego problem.

Mikeweil made a comment, I responded in an attempt to set the record straight, and you make some kind of an issue out of it! You obviously have a problem with that, although I can't imagine why.

Anyway, I took the bait when I should have simply ignored. My bad.

Edited by Christiern

I'd like to point out that a smile of approval showed on my face when I checked the Grammy awards listing and found your name on it, Christiern. You should know better, since you been there.

I suspected Keepnews has at least a minor ego problem - seems to be a side-effect of record producing just as corruption is of a career in politics, that most succumb to. The world is not giving justice, we all know.