Emotiva XDA-2 DAC

Scott Dolan

If sound waves reach your ear at a frequency you're able to hear, you can't simply wish them away. ;)

BTW, having now experienced two different version of Audyssey and the proprietary EmoQ I am reasonably convinced that automatic room correction is more smoke and mirrors than anything. Just reinforces why I have never been a fan of EQ's to begin with. Well, except when I first started out and had a really shitty system that needed all the help it could get. But, I've heard cymbals in person many, MANY times. I know what they're supposed to sound like. So don't put me through several minutes of test tones only to give me playback that makes cymbals sound like someone hitting a cheap piece of aluminum with metal spoons. "Neutral" response, my ass. Boosting levels from 2K and up anywhere from .25 to 3dB, with a Q slope as high as 8+ is NOT creating a neutral setting.

Emotiva has built some rock solid equipment, but pardon me if I bypass all tone controls just as I did with my old Harman Kardon. For all the faults my Polks have, reproducing a deep and heavy cymbal has never been one of them. Hell, it may be their one true strength.

OH! And one thing I'd like to add is that device triggers are the greatest invention ever!

Just hit the power button for the pre-amp, and it will automatically power up both the amp and the DAC via mini to mini connectors. Very, very cool. Especially since the amp doesn't have a remote control.

Naturally, Emotiva didn't invent this, but it's the first time I've ever experienced it.

• 4 months later...