Organissimo's Covers

I esspecially love Organissimo's cover of Frank Zappa's "Peaches in Regalia" The band adds their own style of funk, and each member just wraps their phrase right around the others.

I for one would like to see a cover of a Phish tune. Jim could transform Page's licks into his own blend of Organissimo gold. The band could pull it off very well. I suggest "You enjoy myself," but thats just me.

Bob :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

We do a lot of "covers". A new one that we just added and debuted at Billy's this week is Jethro Tull's "Living In The Past". An apt tune for an organ trio in many ways. :)

The one you didn't recognize from Kenny's was probably "Why Not?", a Houston Person tune that Don Patterson did on his album of the same name for Muse in the 70s. We also do "Dem New York Dues" by Patterson with regularity and "Little Shannon" (also a DP original) now and then.

Last night we pulled out a lot of old tunes that we haven't done in ages for this wedding reception we played. "Little Green Men", "The Grinning Song", and "Whatever It Takes" by Larry Goldings, standards like "Days Of Wine & Roses" and "Here's That Rainy Day". "This Could Be The Start of Something New", "Naima", etc. Larry Young tunes like "Ritha", "Paris Eyes", and "Back Up". "Bright Sized Life" by Metheny, "Let The Cat Out" and "Big Top" by Scofield, "Full House", "Gino", "Cariba", "West Coast Blues" by Wes Montgomery, etc.

We play a lot of stuff, but we've been focusing on our original materials lately since we've got over two albums worth now! :)

We do a lot of "covers".  A new one that we just added and debuted at Billy's this week is Jethro Tull's "Living In The Past".  An apt tune for an organ trio in many ways. :)

Cool! I used to play that years ago. The sheet music was accurate for that one so I could play it. ;)

The one you didn't recognize from Kenny's was probably "Why Not?", a Houston Person tune that Don Patterson did on his album of the same name for Muse in the 70s.

That's it.

We also do "Dem New York Dues" by Patterson with regularity and "Little Shannon" (also a DP original) now and then.

Last night we pulled out a lot of old tunes that we haven't done in ages for this wedding reception we played.  "Little Green Men", "The Grinning Song", and "Whatever It Takes" by Larry Goldings, standards like "Days Of Wine & Roses" and "Here's That Rainy Day".  "This Could Be The Start of Something New", "Naima", etc.  Larry Young tunes like "Ritha", "Paris Eyes", and "Back Up".  "Bright Sized Life" by Metheny, "Let The Cat Out" and "Big Top" by Scofield, "Full House", "Gino", "Cariba", "West Coast Blues" by Wes Montgomery, etc.

Cool!

We play a lot of stuff, but we've been focusing on our original materials lately since we've got over two albums worth now! :)

As you should be at this point.

Like I wrote, just curious to see what you were doing. I just thinking about covers since I'm avoiding working on my own music by trying to play Jazz standards. (which is a way of avoiding the backed up work for the day job) Now I'm going through a Monk phase having bought the T. Monk Fake Book a few days ago. Ruby, My Dear....ahhh.

Oh really....

So a few years ago I walk into DownTown Music Gallery, when it was over on E5th (now it's across from CGBGs, around the corner from where the guys had the van parked last week). There's a rubber chicken leg tacked to the wall, so I asked if Buckethead was just here. The owner replies in a hushed voice...yes.

True story. I wish I was there. A real High Fidelity moment.

It had been a while for BSL, and it was pretty rough. That's a deceptively difficult tune.  Another time perhaps. :)

Back when I tried to play Jazz with other people, I played that tune. Unfortunately I can't remember if I had any problems with BSL. I think I had problems with all the tunes. :rfr