classical record store faces uncertain future

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/j-r-new-yorks-last-classical-record-store-faces-uncertain-future/

....just to walk through a music store again, and browse, and listen, and discuss........

I miss that, though many here don't.

From the link:

Becky Starobin, co-owner of Bridge Records, noted in an e-mail that a record store has other advantages: "I feel strongly that New York City needs, and can sustain, a deep catalog store which also serves as a social and musical gathering place."

Regarding browsing...I miss it more in theory than I do in reality...the biggest kick of all was finding something you didn't know even existed, and with all the blogs and disgographies and such online, how much of that is there anymore? Now it's like, oh cool, here it is, with the "surprise" being about the "here", not the "it". And that's on a good day.

The hang, though, ain't nothing like a good hang.

OTOH, it's cold as hell right now (and we're just on the edge of this "Arctic vortex"), and we are here, not there, and me, I'm glad that it's not the other way around, not in this weather.

The thing I miss most about record stores-- indeed the thing that's crucial about record stores-- is the random, limited selection. This, in my mind, is how a strong, interesting record collection gets built, especially with regard to used records, which is 90% of what I buy for cost reasons. Having not stepped foot in a record store for 3 1/2 years has had a distinct effect on the building of my collection. Shopping online, it's very hard to know where to begin when faced with essentially every record that ever existed, and factoring in shipping makes a huge dent cashwise, in particular with vinyl which I consequently buy very little of anymore. In Iowa City I browsed the two record stores (one jazz-oriented ... o the pain and anguish!) several times a week. It was fun and therapeutic. I miss it very much.

• 2 weeks later...

No, Manny's.

Manny is on his way out!

Has Manny heard about that? :smirk:

I always thought that Manny ran the dollars and cents/ selling aspect of DMG, while Bruce G. did the community involvement/artist interaction/music reviews aspect, to divide it rather simply. (Manny is pretty knowledgable himself when it comes to music). So what is the new situation going to be?