I Just Saw Sid McCoy On Dragnet

JSngry

Yeah, THAT Sid McCoy.

DRAGNET 1969 is some of the most fascinating television I've ever seen. Horrible, in almost every way, but the message was more or less summed up in the episode before this one (which had Jack Sheldon in it) as Everybody's Wrong And There Are No Answers. I paraphrase, but only slightly!

And by "everybody", they mean everybody, cops and squares too. Nothing's better than true freedom, but there is no true freedom. The guy's a right-winger and a leftist all at the same time. I swear, if it was anything but DRAGNET 1969 you'd be thinking it was Liberal Propaganda. But it is DRAGNET 1969. It is.

Jack Webb must've been one complicated motherfucker by this time, that's all I can say. All B&W Dragnets, all the DRAGNET 1967 & DRAGNET 1968, ok, that's one thing, but you get to DRAGNET 1969 and it's some kind of existential trainwreck. This shit is a cry for help from somebody who thinks there's no help to be had.

But anyway - SID MCCOY!!!!!

• 1 month later...

He also was the host in the 1950s of an iconic Chicago jazz radio show. His intro, while IIRC Sinatra's version of "At Long Last Love" played in the background, was: "Hey, hey, old bean and you too baby, it's the Real McCoy." A friend once said that Sid sounded like he had a bedroom in his throat.