Concert season 2014-5

David Ayers

Never too soon to discuss next season!

The Barbican has just announced next season's fare (http://www.barbican.org.uk/classical1415/media/Barbican%20Classical%20Music%20Summary%20Sheet.pdf?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CCCLA200114A&utm_content=&spMailingID=44866873&spUserID=NDc3MDQwNjc3MQS2&spJobID=229086036&spReportId=MjI5MDg2MDM2S0). Dwarfing everything else is the visit of BPO with Ratte offering a Sibelius symphony cycle plus Mahler 2. Sold out already :(.

Of the rest, LSO/Gergiev are concentrating on Russian staples, mainly Rachmaninov, with several appearances for Dennis Matsuev. Gergiev also brings the Mariinsky in Boris Godunov and a lesser-known Shchedrin opera, Levka. The rest of the LSO programme is fairly miscellaneous though with the usual scattering of stars. The BBCSO offers a Nielsen cycle under Oramo who is recording the symphonies for BIS in Stockholm (traitor!) and a celebration of Boulez at 90 which promises many of my own favorites (though PB is not conducting). AAM's big offering is L'Incoronazione di Poppea. Several appearances of Joyce DiDonato and as usual Leonidas Kavakos. Rattle and Haitink are the most prominent of the LSO guest conductors (we *think* Rattle may be next in line after Gergiev).

Much more of course (have a look!). Always happy to hear what is coming up around where other folks are.

Edited by David Ayers

• 1 month later...

Relatively boring seasons from both the Baltimore and National Symphonies. Mendelssohn VC every year--hey, why not? Both symphonies seem to be beginning Mahler cycles, which is interesting (most notably Baltimore doing the 3rd and NSO doing the 9th), and the first Bruckner (that is, the first I am aware of her doing a Brucnker symphony) from Marin Alsop. Maasaki Suzuki guesting at the BSO to do an all Mozart program is promising.

Frankly, I'm more excited about one concert in the Kennedy Center's Jazz season--Muhal Richard Abrams--than any of the classical offering, although I am looking forward to the National Opera doing the Flying Dutchman.

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

The Vancouver Symphony has been growing on me. It's not quite where it should be for a city this size, but it is definitely moving in the right direction. I have seen some quite nice concerts.

However, I will be moving shortly and will probably not make any of the events next season. I think the only concert where I would go out of my way to come back (if it could be paired with a work trip or something) is James Gaffigan leading the VSO in Shostakovich Symphony 7. Also featuring Philippe Quint in Mozart Violin Concerto #4.

I should be able to pick up a Toronto Symphony brochure next week to see what looks interesting. Not sure how interesting it is but Yo-Yo Ma is going to be doing Elgar's Cello Concerto at both TSO and VSO in this upcoming season. I might go, depending on whether there are another other concerts to make it worth my while to subscribe.

It looks like a few things of interest here and there at the TSO. Perhaps the most unusual aspect about it is that they are doing quite a few Nielsen Symphonies (3 by my count and apparently all paired with a Beethoven Piano Concerto for some reason). I'll have to decide how many of these to squeeze in.

Edited by ejp626

• 1 month later...

The Washington Performing Arts Society will bring to town Chailly with the Gewandhaus and John Eliot Gardiner with EBS, ORR and the Monteverdi Choir coming to DC to do Monteverdi's Orfeo. However, their jazz programming still sucks. Now that Sonny Rollins has apparently retired they will only engage Marsalises--Wynton twice in the same season.

http://www.wpas.org/subscribe/genre/index.aspx