Edgewood Saxophone Trio - Snake Nation

jeffcrom

1618407_623106191090731_898209638_n.jpg

I'm pleased to announce that the first album by the Edgewood Saxophone Trio will be released in a few weeks. The EST is two of the best saxophonists in Atlanta, plus me; Ben Davis and Bill Nittler are the other guys. The CD has nine of my odd little compositions, two improvised pieces, and a Steve Lacy tune. I'll post the official release date soon, but wanted to put this out there to whet the appetite of those who don't have enough off-center, jazz-based saxophone trio albums.

I'm in no matter what, but are your compositions through-composed?

It varies. They all involve improvisation, if that's part of what you're asking. The simplest is really just a sketch to guide the improvisation, but some are pretty elaborate - through-composed with spaces for solos. Some swing, and some are pretty abstract. I'll try to post some clips soon, but I've got a couple of pretty busy days coming up.

I'll take one!

I'll admit I don't love the saxophone quartet format, and like sax duos here and there. But for some reason a sax trio sounds just right.

We were originally a quartet. When the fourth guy quit, Ben, our tenor player, suggested that we continue as a trio. I was skeptical, but at our first rehearsal as a trio, it was immediately apparent that the collectively improvised passages were far clearer. Not only was there one less voice to contend with, but the three of us were on the same wavelength, which the former member never really quite grasped.

It sure is harder to write for three saxophones than for four, though.

Release date will be March 14. If anyone is interested in pre-ordering, it'll be $14 in the US, including shipping. You can use PayPal [jeffcrom (at) bellsouth.net], or PM me if you'd like to pay by check. In the unlikely event that someone outside of the US wants one, PM me and I'll figure out shipping costs.

I had a difficult time deciding which tracks to post as samples here. Every piece is different, but as you'll hear, if you don't enjoy the so-called avant-garde at all, you most likely will not like this album. And I've listened to this stuff so much during the mixing, editing, and mastering process that at this point every little flaw jumps out at me. Hopefully that won't be true for most folks. Anyway, here's one of my tunes and an improvisation.

Swingbox

Omen

• 2 months later...