Blue Note: 75 Years of the Finest in Jazz

Looks like Richard Havers who did such a nice job on the big Verve label book is doing the same for Blue Note:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1452141444/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2GW3WTOB57QL6&coliid=I3IVV6PBT2N3RQ

Not much info available now but it's coming in late October.

P.S. - Does this mean Ashley Kahn's long-awaited Somethin' Else book is finally dead?

I will DEFINITELY check this out, I hope it's well written and researched. I know some people aren't as into Blue Note today because it's not the same, actually a continuation of the "Blue Note Hits a New Note" in a new skin. I think Don Was is doing a great job at letting musicians follow their instincts under today's BN banner. It's records like "Black Radio", the Jose James one that came out, Derrick Hodge's "Live Today" which will bring new listeners to check out the history, we as longtime fans all love.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from the gig. It was great to hear McCoy and Bobby together, and Norah Jones with Wayne Shorter worked out really well. I wish Wayne's quartet would have had more time, but I knew to expect a short set.

I did meet Don Was briefly backstage after - seems like a real nice guy.

Kendrick Scott really knocked me out throughout the night - is he a BN artist?

Bertrand.

I was there as well (...though not as close as Bertrand :smirk:). Hutch and McCoy was the interval I enjoyed the most. I also appreciated the fairly understated way in which the Norah Jones segment (two songs: "Nearness of You" and "I've Got to See You Again") began--she started playing as a video greeting from Bruce Lundvall wound down rather than making a grand entrance under the lights.

I had never before seen Lou Donaldson or Dr. Lonnie Smith, but knew what to expect--Lou is still talking about Spyro Gyra (and still standing at 87)!

Throughout the show they projected selected album covers, supposedly in chronological order, on a screen behind the stage. I tried to block this out when music was actually being performed, but I did learn that Hub-Tones apparently was released in 1979, and that they never quite got to Without a Net, even as Wayne and company performed some of that material for about 20 minutes to end the concert.

Too bad some late worknights kept me from much of the other local Blue Note-flavored music celebrations, many of which Bertrand had a hand in organizing (...or at least promoting).

I just got back from the gig. It was great to hear McCoy and Bobby together, and Norah Jones with Wayne Shorter worked out really well. I wish Wayne's quartet would have had more time, but I knew to expect a short set.

I did meet Don Was briefly backstage after - seems like a real nice guy.

Kendrick Scott really knocked me out throughout the night - is he a BN artist?

Bertrand.

Kendrick Scott's recent leader release is on Concord.

• 4 months later...