Blue Note @75: by CJ Shearn

You are welcome. An acquaintance of mine, as I said before really loves that period of BN, as do some others (we aren't the audience for that stuff) and I find, like you said years ago, a lot of that stuff effluvia too (Gene Harris' Tone Tantrum is pretty weak) I really wanted to back up in words how difficult that period was, so I dug up your post :) I had to edit a few things to make it smoother, but you've always been such a source of on the scene knowledge and wisdom here, it's incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about that! I haven't got around to hearing those Pullen records, I missed out on the Mosaic Select set which I wanted years ago....... I will have to find some of those on Rhapsody/Spotify and listen. Always wanted to hear the trio record with Gary Peacock and Tony.

You can't of course, please everyone: there's always something more, a little further onward that you have digged that the critic seemingly hasn't! Or so you think.

I am always astounded that Art Blakey's Orgy in Rhythm and the two Holidays for Skins are not central to Blue Note reissues, these albums seem to me to be essential to understand Blakey, the man and his music.

They really are, which is why I included all the Blakey percussion ensemble albums on BN in my list. Been digging "Orgy" for 2 decades now. Remember, the audience of New York Jazz Workshop, which are students taking classes there may not be aware of anything other than the essentials, so for my list I decided to dig deeper into back catalog albums very familiar to our crowd, but not always casual fans or music students.