MPS

dougcrates

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, king ubu said:

Oh, wow, was totally unaware of that! The album was later reissued as part of Universal's bunch of Koller MPS reissues, with original cover art. Took me a while to find it, but I eventually did manage.

See my notes on "What are you listening to right now", page 6250, comment 1471389, January 12. It is not possible to set a precise link here. The first post of this thread always opens instead.

here's the post (click on that small symbol on top right, "Share this post", and then you can copy the link which comes up in a pop-up window) -- but alas those BNF links won't work:

Here's a link to "Mr. Heine's Blues" that will hopefully work ... was there really ever a CD titled like that or is that some odditiy in the database of the BNF?

http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb39197872d

Seems "The SoloSolal" was also part of this series -- another reissue I was totally unaware of:

http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb38215166f

EAN 0042284311120 / MPS 8431112 (Boite) : POL 899

(discogs has no listing for that CD of "SoloSolal" ... and I hope the links work, for me they do, but that might one of those cache things)

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Do you gents think there's ANY hope that Edel might release a box set of Solal's MPS recordings -- just like they did for George Duke?

Whether the box was CDs or LPs, I'd buy a Solal MPS set in a heartbeat.

Those boxes - George Duke, Art Van Damme, Eugen Cicero, Herbolzheimer, Shearing, Francy Boland, Baden Powell (the last two just 2CD sets), and though not MPS material but very similar looking the box of Doldinger's early recordings - were all done when MPS was part of Universal (which ended with the latest merger, the big gulp that took in EMI -- MPS was one of the labels that had to be "divested" or whatever that's called ... the only box Edel has done, to my knowledge, is the Peterson box - expensive vinyl for a dying clientele I guess (I actually wonder if any of those in for *that* ride are still alive ... I mean those are some fine enough albums, but I can't really imagine many folks paying serious money).

Either way, I'm not holding my breath for a Solal box, rather I just pick up whatever vinyl I can, and then help myself to some more ;)

(I have all of those sets btw, except for the Herbolzheimer and Shearings - I guess none of them are really essential, maybe the Baden Powell is if you into Brasilian music, but all of them are pretty nice, and the Duke is loads of fun!)

5 hours ago, king ubu said:

Those boxes - George Duke, Art Van Damme, Eugen Cicero, Herbolzheimer, Shearing, Francy Boland, Baden Powell (the last two just 2CD sets), and though not MPS material but very similar looking the box of Doldinger's early recordings - were all done when MPS was part of Universal (which ended with the latest merger, the big gulp that took in EMI -- MPS was one of the labels that had to be "divested" or whatever that's called ... the only box Edel has done, to my knowledge, is the Peterson box

ubu, I didn't realize those were all Uni sets. Oh well.  

...Thanks for the info. :tup

It was also Universal that licensed those (mostly) somewhat more adventurous albums to Promising Music. And Edel shut that door -- offering those "Spiegel Edition" reissues and all them downloads instead ...

Spiegel, for those that don't know, is a German news magazine, and German press is trying to generate some revenue by selling books, music editions, furniture, nonsense, lifestyle, happiness, cars, luxury holiday trips etc pp)