Concert Halls -- good, bad and ugly

papsrus

What concert halls have you found to be either impressive acoustically, or conversely, bad?

I'm interested particularly in Larry's impressions (or anyone else's) of Orchestra Hall in Chicago; Philly's Verizon, too, as I'm toying with the idea of heading up there. Or any comments members might have on more provincial venues around, such as I'm about to describe below.

Here, the Sarasota Opera House (1,190 capacity) is really quite good, acoustically. The hall is compact enough that even from the rear balcony, the stage is quite close. Intimate and elegant without being ostentatious, probably the best place in town to experience music. The hall quite satisfactorily possesses that combination of both clarity and warmth in its acoustics.

The Historic Asolo Theater is another nice, albeit small venue. Built in Asolo, Italy in the 18th Century, the theater (about 300 capacity) was dismantled and put into storage in the 1930, then purchased by the Ringlings in 1949 and eventually reassembled inside a modern building here in Sarasota, where it sits today.

The venue is used for chamber music performances (I attended a lovely concert by the Morgenstern Trio there last week -- they pulled off Schubert's Adagio Nottunor in E flat Major in a (pp) whisper quite beautifully indeed, and the hall cooperated in that regard very sympathetically.) The Asolo Repertory Theater stages select performances there as well, although they mainly use their larger venue next door.

The main barn in town, the Van Wezel -- home to the Sarasota Orchestra -- is acoustic mud. One of those fan-shaped places where sound goes to die. The place seats 1,743, so not enormous, but it was designed, I'm sure, to squeeze the maximum number of butts into the available space, rather than with any thought about acoustics in mind. We need a new hall.

How's the hall in your town?

Symphony Hall in Atlanta is mediocre. (But at least the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra will be back this weekend after the lockout!). But Spivey Hall, a small concert hall at Clayton State College south of Atlanta, is superb. I've heard chamber music, classical guitar, an organ recital, and jazz there. When Tashi played the hall, Richard Stoltzman played the solo clarinet movement from Quartet for the End of Time; he makes some of the phrases fade out so that you can't tell exactly when the sound disappears, and the hall's acoustics were good enough for the effect to work perfectly. But it also handled the David Murray Octet in full cry. And they have a very good organ.

I'm no expert on Orchestra Hall, but I don't much like it now and recall that back in the late '50s early '60s it was much better. There have been several renovations, none I believe for the better.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-20/entertainment/ct-ent-0621-muti-interview-20130621_1_muti-cso-music-director-rachelle-roe

Been to one concert years ago at Boston's Symphony Hall and recall that the acoustics were marvelous.

Haven't been to the Meyerson that many times, but have sat in various locations and have never felt aurally cheated. They make a big deal about how much they spent to ensure perfect acoustics, and maybe they did and they did get it right, but when people say shit like that in Dallas, it's like, yeah, ok, thanks for your economic stimulus and job creations, now where's my seat?

I'm no expert on Orchestra Hall, but I don't much like it now and recall that back in the late '50s early '60s it was much better. There have been several renovations, none I believe for the better.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-20/entertainment/ct-ent-0621-muti-interview-20130621_1_muti-cso-music-director-rachelle-roe

Been to one concert years ago at Boston's Symphony Hall and recall that the acoustics were marvelous.

The Chicagoans do have this going for them.

I suppose there's nothing like having a cozy relationship with the Viennese to keep the orchestra invigorated! :tup

Haven't been to the Meyerson that many times, but have sat in various locations and have never felt aurally cheated. They make a big deal about how much they spent to ensure perfect acoustics, and maybe they did and they did get it right, but when people say shit like that in Dallas, it's like, yeah, ok, thanks for your economic stimulus and job creations, now where's my seat?

The Meyerson has very nice sound. I also like the sound in the new Winspear Opera House.

I've attended 2 jazz concerts at the Wortham Theatre in Houston; they were OK but I can't say the acoustics knocked me out. I've always loved Town Hall in NYC. Re Atlanta, I once saw Tricia Yearwood at the Fox Theatre and loved the experience; is it still around?

Disney Hall seems pretty great to me though the only time I heard classical music there I was sitting behind the orchestra. It was great. John Adams who was conducting played air violin.

I've only seen a chorale concert there so far, but the acoustics were just stunning. They used the organ during a couple tracks and the low notes vibrated the entire building, it was awesome.

concert-hall-interior-1-1gjbkt9.jpg