Post a Landscape/Cityscape Pic

Went to the Ravilious exhibition in London last weekend - quite wonderful. Particularly taken by this picture of one of my favourite parts of Britain (it shows the Westbury White Horse carved into the chalk dip slope on one of the beautifully curvaceous hills in Wiltshire). 

In the 1970s I bought a photograph by Fay Godwin from this series after climbing up to the Westbury horse:

CKmB1MVWgAAmpQ5.jpg

455808-2.jpg

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 1970s I bought a photograph by Fay Godwin from this series after climbing up to the Westbury horse:

Nice photos. I'm trying to work out which part of the horse is in the photo. The only curved bit on the Westbury is the tail:

Paragliding_above_Westbury_White_Horse_-

and that goes downhill rather than up.

Could the photo be from the Eddington horse just over the border in Oxfordshire?

Uffington+white+horse.jpg

Or one of the others.

Puzzled as I can't get my head round where the photo fits on the Westbury.

(Sorry, I'm a bit obsessed with those horses - memories of travelling to Cornwall in the  early 60s when you'd see them on the journey.)

At least she didn't do the Cerne Abbas giant!  

(Edit: now why didn't I just look it up on Google?...it is Uffington - http://www.younggallerysalisbury.co.uk/art-comes-in-many-shapes-and-sizes/)

(Edit 2: Noticed you said you climbed up the Westbury, not that the photo was Westbury...just too eager to ramble on about white horses. I will not, however, mention the Andorran White Horse that Northerners have plagiarised in North Yorkshire)

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I'm not familiar with Godwin but those images are very striking. I see from linking to that last one it's from around Hebden Bridge. 

I like this one again from Wiltshire:

point-17-Adams-Grave.jpg

And this one is iconic for that part of the world:

fg04.jpg

Some touristy snaps from London:

22b90d61-db54-476e-93c2-fabf07234a20.jpg

Three honeypots in one.

d5271a5a-5c14-4ec5-96e7-6a063b2ae7b0.jpg

The old and the new.

514195fa-fec7-4ef6-8707-6dd787087da4.jpg

Can't say I care much for the Albert Memorial but there's something appealing about its glitter contrasted against the blue and cloud of late afternoon. 

27a66b0c-04e0-499b-903e-a5f0bc6962a5.jpg

London Bridge Station - Hedge Fund London under construction. 

The Orpheum Theatre in downtown Los Angeles.  I took this photo on an intensely sunny afternoon but after playing around with filters for a little bit I came up with this kind of film noir look.  One accidental effect that was cool is the Orpheum sign on the top of the building looks like it is illuminated but it's actually just getting struck by the sunlight.  

10999663_10205960444324716_3654661464979

The Orpheum Theatre in downtown Los Angeles.  I took this photo on an intensely sunny afternoon but after playing around with filters for a little bit I came up with this kind of film noir look.  One accidental effect that was cool is the Orpheum sign on the top of the building looks like it is illuminated but it's actually just getting struck by the sunlight.  

Nice

Nice

Beautiful shot.

1000.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

New stone monument found by Durrington Walls near Stonehenge. 

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/07/stonehenge-archaeology-ritual-arena-neolithic-monument

Picture would make a nice album cover.

New-Stonehenge-discovery-004.jpg?w=700&q

Liked that one too. 

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/10/stonehenge-teeming-chapels-shrines-archaeology-research