Billie Holiday, Live 1948-57

medjuck

I'm pretty sure there's already a thread about this release but I can't find it using search.  On the first disc Bobby Tucker introduces two songs ("Good Morning Heartache" and" I Wonder Where Our Love has Gone") with a tune that's very familiar to me but I can't remember what it is.  Then to drive me even more nuts, on cd 2 Carl Drinkard uses the same tune as an outro on "I Cried for You" and "What A Little Moonlight Can Do".    Please someone: name that song.

• 3 weeks later...

you sure you think Mercer wrote it? From what I heard Duke was putting Mercer's name on things for tax purposes.

I would imagine Duke actually wrote it; sounds like him of course. And, yes I knew about the ASCAP/BMI thing; thanks for mentioning that Medjuck.

Should have clarified that when I posted. On a similar note: although Mercer is credited as writing "Things Ain't What They Used to Be", it is actually a Johnny Hodges piece (no surprise); Hodges "lost" the piece to Duke in a card game! Then Duke had Mercer put his name on it because of the BMI/ASCAP thing. 

Anyway, just some trivia I heard from a member of the Ellington band, who heard it from Mercer himself.

• 8 months later...
On 7/22/2015 at 4:49 PM, AllenLowe said:

you sure you think Mercer wrote it? From what I heard Duke was putting Mercer's name on things for tax purposes.

Duke Ellington 
The Duke Box (8 CDs - 2006) Storyville Records

CD 5 (55:29)

11Dec43, Carnegie Hall, NYC  
 4. Moon Mist

duke introduces this tune as 'written by my son, mercer ellington'. 

why would he make a public announcement like this if it's just for tax purposes?

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 1:00 PM, agriffith said:

I would imagine Duke actually wrote it; sounds like him of course. And, yes I knew about the ASCAP/BMI thing; thanks for mentioning that Medjuck.

Should have clarified that when I posted. On a similar note: although Mercer is credited as writing "Things Ain't What They Used to Be", it is actually a Johnny Hodges piece (no surprise); Hodges "lost" the piece to Duke in a card game! Then Duke had Mercer put his name on it because of the BMI/ASCAP thing. 

Anyway, just some trivia I heard from a member of the Ellington band, who heard it from Mercer himself.

The original title of "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" was "Time's A-Wastin'"

Edited by jazztrain
clarification

39 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

The original title of "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" was "Time's A-Wastin'"

in concert, Wings And Things (written by hodges) was often played as a continuation of Things Ain't What They Used to Be (at least in 1966). Wings seems like a natural extension of Things Ain't What They Used to Be. on those july 1966 antibes shows hodges just seems to be soloing forever when playing this medley.