BFT 139 discussion

Homefromtheforest

01. Sounds contemporary-ish; the accordion is an interesting touch but the whole thing is not for me, though the players can play.

02. Dahl's been guessed already - new name to me but I enjoyed it. Shades of Bernardo Sassetti, Masabumi Kikuchi filtered through Mal Waldron. 

03. Yes - Konitz on Varitone, playing the music of Giovanni Tommasso. I like this record.

04. Instantly guessed Rivers' Beatrice and I've been meaning to pick up that material with Hymas. Nice.

05. I couldn't get into it for some reason, and didn't recognize it (though I may in fact have it!). Seems like two percussionists here but I got bored and moved on.

06. It's one of the tunes off of Jeff Clyne's Springboard, with John Stevens (dr), Trevor Watts (alto), Ian Carr (tp/flh). Not sure which one - will dig it out tonight and remind myself - "C4" maybe?

07. Familiar yet unfamiliar - I'll give this another try. I like it; has the distinct early 70s feel of some Americans in Europe, though not sure which ones.

08. British.

09. ICP-related?

10. Annette Peacock & Paul Bley with Han Bennink - a track off of Dual Unity, "Gargantuan Encounter." Good stuff, hadn't heard it in a while.

01. Sounds contemporary-ish; the accordion is an interesting touch but the whole thing is not for me, though the players can play.

02. Dahl's been guessed already - new name to me but I enjoyed it. Shades of Bernardo Sassetti, Masabumi Kikuchi filtered through Mal Waldron. 

03. Yes - Konitz on Varitone, playing the music of Giovanni Tommasso. I like this record.

04. Instantly guessed Rivers' Beatrice and I've been meaning to pick up that material with Hymas. Nice.

05. I couldn't get into it for some reason, and didn't recognize it (though I may in fact have it!). Seems like two percussionists here but I got bored and moved on.

06. It's one of the tunes off of Jeff Clyne's Springboard, with John Stevens (dr), Trevor Watts (alto), Ian Carr (tp/flh). Not sure which one - will dig it out tonight and remind myself - "C4" maybe?

I'm sure you have plenty of records/CDs by two of the musicians on track one as sidemen!  That's my only clue...

Indeed track 6 is off the Springboard album; good ears Clifford!

07. Familiar yet unfamiliar - I'll give this another try. I like it; has the distinct early 70s feel of some Americans in Europe, though not sure which ones.

08. British.

09. ICP-related?

10. Annette Peacock & Paul Bley with Han Bennink - a track off of Dual Unity, "Gargantuan Encounter." Good stuff, hadn't heard it in a while.

Americans in Europe is not a close guess for 7 I'm afraid.

Track 8 is not British..

Track 9 is not ICP-related but I can see/hear why you could guess that..

correct on track 10!  

11. Been guessed already. Actually, I don't have any unaccompanied Portal recordings.

12. This is really good. It sounds like it could've been on Muse, or from some late '60s/early '70s Schlitten date, but I'm not pulling any names out of the air.

13. Ra has already been guessed, but this is quite special. The earlier one goes with Ra the better, I think.

14. Not bad for Dave Douglas - I actually like this, though Lacy's tunes are hard to ruin in my experience.

15. Djanger Bali is certainly something I've been curious to hear. This is real nice.

16. Hino?

• 2 weeks later...

It is already the end of the month. I always have a lot of fun with these BFTs but I am really bad at the comments part. Sorry.

Outside of track 10 (kind of scary to me), I enjoyed hearing everything you presented. I ENJOYED several tracks. I will have more things for my never ending “have to find out more about this” list. Some highlights:

Track 02 reminds me of one of those ECM piano trios. That is a good thing by me. I love the drummer (cymbaler?).

Track 09 is pretty interesting to me. Some different instrumentation that goes in different directions in a short time.

Track 11 is another nice piece that says l lot in a short time frame.

Track 14 is probably my favorite and the one thing that sounds a little familiar. Definitely the kind of stuff I like to listen to.

Thanks very much for putting this together. On to the other comments to see what has been ID'd.

Just in time to get some responses under the wire...

1. I wish I liked it better than I do. Chops and bravado, but I was hoping for something else. Is that Paquito?

1. No guess, but those moments of piano/bass counterpoint are really beautiful.

1. This is probably my favorite thing here, for the writing and the wonderful trumpet solo.

1. First chorus is Getzian indeed, but things are very different after the fine piano solo. Some turns of phrase make me want to say it's George Adams. Or somebody who's really studied him.

1. The chart sounds like something Walter Davis or Bobby Watson would have made for the Messengers, and there's some Blakey in the drumming. But there's also some hyperactive Tony Williams footwork. I'm intrigued.

1. I'm mystified, but I love the touch of toy piano.

1. Is it electronic sounds all the way, or are there some acoustic things at the beginning that gradually disappear? I kinda like it – especially the drive for impossible velocity – and wish it didn't lose so much momentum so soon.

1. This is waaaaay cool, feels really good after the last 3.

1. I know, HP identified it. But seriously -- aren't those really the changes of "Besame Mucho"?

1. Pleasant late '70s vibe. Is that a Wurlitzer, not a Rhodes? Curious how different that piano sounds in different registers. Is the tenor Ricky Ford?

Much pleasure here on County Road 139! Thanks for a really good BFT. Looking forward to the reveal.