Insomnia

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Having coitus really helps me transition into a fulfilling, relaxing sleep.

That indeed is another way to get to sleep.

Actually had a little trouble last night.  Woke up 1 (went to bed at 12) and took me an hour and half to fall asleep.

First night without Lorazepam last night after two in a row with. My sleep was choppy. Perhaps two hours, then I was up. Went to bed again, woke up around 4 AM, practiced a bit, went back to bed. Sleeping in increments is better than no sleep at all...

Part of the problem is the following two things: 1. I'm in an up, creative phase, and 2. I go out a lot at night, as a musician must, and this has also made my mind active at my usual bedtime and is keeping me up later.

I still say try to make it w/o the chemical aids...

For the foreseeable future, I'll continue taking the Melatonin. It seems to be working for me. I did go one night this week without taking it and ended up getting little sleep. As long as it's not addictive and there is no need to take more serious measures, it probably makes a lot of sense. After reading some of the posts here by other members experiencing much severe problems, I should consider myself lucky.

20 hours ago, fasstrack said:

First night without Lorazepam last night after two in a row with. My sleep was choppy. Perhaps two hours, then I was up. Went to bed again, woke up around 4 AM, practiced a bit, went back to bed. Sleeping in increments is better than no sleep at all...

Part of the problem is the following two things: 1. I'm in an up, creative phase, and 2. I go out a lot at night, as a musician must, and this has also made my mind active at my usual bedtime and is keeping me up later.

I still say try to make it w/o the chemical aids...

I think the mistake you're making is that when you get up and practice, you're stimulating your brain, whereas it needs to be de-stimulated (assuming that's a word).

4 hours ago, Brad said:

I think the mistake you're making is that when you get up and practice, you're stimulating your brain, whereas it needs to be de-stimulated (assuming that's a word).

Actually, I get up and practice in relaxed fashion, sort of serenading myself. No deep thinking there.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Joel

19 hours ago, Brad said:

Joel,

I'm obviously no doctor but what have I read is that you want to relax the brain.  Wouldn't practicing get the juices flowing?

Brad

Not when you're playing gently, without thinking, and just trying to get a groove. That can be mesmerizing, and lull one back to sleep. I probably should have said playing, not practicing. My mistake.

I resorted to the Lorazepam last night after waking up after only 2 hours. I was staggering it, using it every other day, and just didn't want to operate on 2 hours sleep today, so I succumbed..

To not go down that road to addiction, and on the recommendation of people I respect, today I purchased Melatonin. Trying it tonight for the first time, and will keep you posted as to its efficacy.

Thank you all for your interest and concern, and I wish a good night's sleep to all of you.

Joel

Joel, my experience may differ from yours but speaking for myself the Melatonin took a few days to work for me. Since you've been only trying it for a few days, I wouldn't give up on it right away. Give it a chance maybe a week before I would try something else. I realize you must be very frustrated and looking for some sort of relief. Any sort of relief. All I can say is hang in there and don't give up on it. At least it has worked for me in the long run. I spoke with my doctor yesterday as part of my annual physical and spoke of my insomnia and the use of Melatonin. She said as long as it worked for me, I could/should continue using it as long as I received the results I wanted. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Tom 1960

I have to admit that my experience with Melatonin has been a mixed bag. There have been times where it worked with aplomb, but others where it was completely useless, as Joel has experienced. 

And Tom, my very first time using it, it knocked me out so bad that it took me until three hours into my work day before I woke up. It's really bizarre how differently things work for people. 

That said, I do echo your point about not giving up on it. This is a fucking war. You don't give up just because you lost a battle or two...

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'll not be the one to disabuse the coitus notion, as long as it's all legit and shit. Otherwise you'll have the vile sleazeball thing on you, and good luck getting to sleep while trying to live with that.

Are you saying you'll be moderating the forum members coitus preferences also?

Those, who, for one reason or another, distance themselves from my coitus suggestion...how about a warm glass of milk before bedtime?