What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/19/2023 at 4:28 AM, mjzee said:

s-l1600.jpg

Disc three.  Compositions by Joseph Achron, Alexander Weprik, Alexander Krein, Joel Engel, and Lazare Saminsky; performed by Ingolf Turban (violin) and Jascha Nemtsov (piano).

Coincidentally, I just learned about Weprik this week (here is how one gets to Weprik: we have a modern music festival in Vienna with Sarah Nemtsov as one of the featured composers, I was reading about her and it was mentioned that her husband is Jascha Nemtsov who specializes on Jewish composers of the 20th century. I decided I'd check who these could be, and among familiar names (Schulhoff, Weinberg, Klein) there was a new one for me, Weprik), and listend to his orchestral works yesterday:

It's solid stuff.

Was listening to Jenő Jandó's excellent performances of Scarlatti sonatas today and decided to check what Jandó is up to these days just to learn than he died a few months ago. Sad to hear this, he was a stupendous piano player. I don't even like Scarlatti on piano, but Jandó's performances sound just right to me (even if the piano itself does not sound great), I have been enjoying them for years. 

edit: I was writing how unknown Jandó was but then saw that he has more than a million listens per month on Spotify. Not that unknown after all, I guess.  

Edited by Д.Д.

8 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Coincidentally, I just learned about Weprik this week (here is how one gets to Weprik: we have a modern music festival in Vienna with Sarah Nemtsov as one of the featured composers, I was reading about her and it was mentioned that her husband is Jascha Nemtsov who specializes on Jewish composers of the 20th century. I decided I'd check who these could be, and among familiar names (Schulhoff, Weinberg, Klein) there was a new one for me, Weprik), and listend to his orchestral works yesterday:

It's solid stuff.

The background of this box's music is interesting:

"It was apparently Rimsky-Korsakov, himself a member of the "Mighty Handful" of Russian nationalist composers, who encouraged his students at the St. Petersburg Conservatory to go out and collect Jewish folk music and music sung in the synagogues, getting thus the ball rolling for a specific Jewish classical music. The movement led in 1908 to the founding of the St. Petersburg Society for Jewish Folk Music and, in 1923, of the Society for Jewish Music in Moscow. The success of the latter and its members was however, short-lived. The antisemitic, anti-cosmopolitan forces that started to brew under the new soviet regime led many potential members of the society to emigrate. The ones that remained were forced to focus on proletarian themes and, even when complying to the requirements, still found themselves often repressed or incarcerated outright. The last notable concert with the society's music in the Soviet Union took place in Moscow, in April of 1929. Most of this music had then lain dormant for decades until the pianist Jascha Nemtsov (himself the son of a Gulag survivor) and his musical collaborators unearthed it in the last few years of the 20th century. The present collection contains on five discs the recordings - many of them world premieres - realized between 1999 and 2004."

I believe these recordings were originally released by Naxos on five individual volumes, now collected here.