What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More from Oistrakh's Complete EMI Recordings set.

Disc 13:
- Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 / Maxim Shostakovich, New Philharmonia O
- Khachaturian: Violin Concerto / conducted by the composer, Philharmonia O

DSCH's First Violin Concerto is an AMAZING composition -- and this performance is awe-inspiring!!!

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

What do you think about Levine`s Mahler ....?

I think Levine's Mahler recordings range from very good to excellent

Levine's Fourth with Judith Blegen is one of my favorite recordings of the M4 -- and IMO the strongest in the set. But I also think Levine's Third, Sixth and Seventh are outstanding.

To my ears, Levine's way with Mahler is that of an opera conductor. At his best, there's a strong "music drama" quality to the music -- and less of a "through line" compared to conductors with a more orchestral approach. (Perhaps it's not a coincidence that Levine's M4 is my favorite. I think there are fewer navigation pitfalls in this work than any other Mahler symphony.)

So, if were to rank Mahler conductors based on my purely subjective and personal preferences, I suppose I'd put Levine on the second tier -- with conductors like Klaus Tennstedt, John Barbirolli, and Hermann Scherchen. ... My top tier choices would be Bruno Walter, Jascha Horenstein, Leonard Bernstein, and Rafael Kubelik.

Forced to pick one, I'd almost certainly go with Kubelik.

What do YOU think of Levine's Mahler???

NP:

4164QS29TWL.jpg

Mozart: Symphonies / Marriner, ASMF (Philips)

Edited by HutchFan

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think Levine's Mahler recordings range from very good to excellent

Levine's Fourth with Judith Blegen is one of my favorite recordings of the M4 -- and IMO the strongest in the set. But I also think Levine's Third, Sixth and Seventh are outstanding.

To my ears, Levine's way with Mahler is that of an opera conductor. At his best, there's a strong "music drama" quality to the music -- and less of a "through line" compared to conductors with a more orchestral approach. (Perhaps it's not a coincidence that Levine's M4 is my favorite. I think there are fewer navigation pitfalls in this work than any other Mahler symphony.)

So, if were to rank Mahler conductors based on my purely subjective and personal preferences, I suppose I'd put Levine on the second tier -- with conductors like Klaus Tennstedt, John Barbirolli, and Hermann Scherchen. ... My top tier choices would be Bruno Walter, Jascha Horenstein, Leonard Bernstein, and Rafael Kubelik.

Forced to pick one, I'd almost certainly go with Kubelik.

What do YOU think of Levine's Mahler???

You pretty hit the spot with Levine having his strengh reg Mahler where the more dramatic tone-painting approach applies .... for me with his Mahler 4, where also all the virtues of the Chicago Symphony come to the fore .... and Mahler 6 not too far behind ....