What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

51-fW1xu9rL._SY495_.jpg

Berlioz: Les Troyens / Sir Colin Davis, Ben Heppner, Michelle DeYoung, London SO & Chorus,  et al (LSO Live)
Just getting to know this new-to-me set. The only other recording of this opera with which I'm familiar is Davis' earlier recording on Philips.

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Got the whole Barbirolli  set and like it a lot, but I wouldn't say it's the last word. Haven't listened to all of Berglund's set with the Helsinki orchestra, but so far it's a contender and as different from Barbirolli as chalk from cheese  -- sharper edges, less romantic.

Agree with you 100%, Larry.  Barbirolli's Romantic way with Sibelius is just one interpretive approach among many. "Cooler" readings by conductors like Berglund, Osmo Vänskä, and others offer an entirely different point of view.

24 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

What i like about this set is that it has a feeling of distance about it but at some spots also a feeling of warmth. 

Yes. Well put. It somehow makes the readings seem very personal -- to me at least.  There's also something about the music that puts me in the mind of an older person.  It's the perspective of someone who has lived a while; it's not a "young person's Sibelius."  (Of course, this could also just be me foisting my own meanings on the music!)

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yes. Well put. It somehow makes the readings seem very personal -- to me at least.  There's also something about the music that puts me in the mind of an older person.  It's the perspective of someone who has lived a while; it's not a "young person's Sibelius."  (Of course, this could also just be me foisting my own meanings on the music!)

i understand. Sibelius was pretty old when he first wrote his first Symphony. He wrote symphonies from 34-58 years old.

Edited by Referentzhunter

11 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

i understand. How old was Sibelius when he wrote his symphony's ? Wikepedia will tell

Per wikipedia, Sibelius was 33 when he finished his First Symphony and 59 when he finished his Seventh.

I'm nowhere near enough of an expert to suggest that Barbirolli's readings are somehow "more truthful" to the scores than others.  And, honestly, I don't even really care about that. With him, I just hear an interpretive point of view that pulls me, that's convincing to me as a listener -- from an entirely subjective point of view.

Edited by HutchFan

8 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Per wikipedia, Sibelius was 33 when he finished his First Symphony and 59 when he finished his Seventh.

I'm nowhere near enough of an expert to suggest that Barbirolli's readings are somehow "more truthful" to the score than others.  And, honestly, I don't even really care about that. With him, I just hear an interpretive point of view that pulls me, that's convincing to me as a listener -- from an entirely subjective point of view.

I am no expert myself. Very few are. Probably people that knew the man himself or studied the man and his scores understand what Sibelius's music is about.

Conductors conducting their on work deliver most pure interpretations !!!

But loving music in a personal way is also important indeed. ^_^ You are right.

Edited by Referentzhunter

Cd 5: Scenes Historique Rakastav Romance in C, Symphony No.6

61rgiOLtpsL._SY355_.jpg

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Another recording of Chopin's Etudes. While this is  a good one, I prefer the versions by Perahia, Pollini and Friere.iu.jpeg

I think Ashkenazy is in his element if he plays Chopin. I haven't heard a lot but i enjoyed what i heard. But i also prefer many others.