What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roberto Sierra: Sinfonía No. 3 "La Salsa", Borikén, El Baile & Beyond the Silence of Sorrow51i-zUIVvpL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Sierra was enjoyable but a bit plain - lots of Latin effects but nothing you wouldn't find in Falla, Debussy, Ravel or, probably closer to the music's origins, the dances from West Side Story. Barry is still a work in progress for me - I hear some Messiaen in there (a similar way of writing in blocks of material), a bit of minimalism but haven't yet got by head round him. I'll probably experiment with one of the operas soon - 'The Intelligence Park' I think.   

Edited by A Lark Ascending

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Try David Cates:

or Bradley Brookshire:

I  (with limited exceptions) prefer to hear Bach on piano not harpsichord. 

Gould has been a longtime favorite of mine, especially on Bach.

In fact, just acquired his set of the 5 Beethoven Piano Concertos. Thus far, the couple I have heard were

better than I had expected.

Maxwell Davies: Strathclyde Concertos Nos. 9 & 10ArnoldChamber2_PW.jpgBartok, B.: Suite No. 1 / 2 Pictures / Transylvanian Dances / Hungarian Peasant Songs

The MD reminded me of Sibelius in places; I seem to recall he was an influence from the 70s onwards. 

Re: Bartok - the early Suite sounds like Brahms/Liszt with a tiny bit of folksy flavouring; the folksiness is much more pronounced in the later pieces - straightforward and tuneful but with a rough, tart feel. 

Roussel_Chamber_8413.jpg

Disc three

Beethoven: 9 Symphonies (5 CDs)

No 4. The Beethoven symphony I've listened to least over the centuries. A marvellous piece, especially the ever-varying slow movement (a little like the slow movement in 6) - there's a heart-stopping moment on the (I think!) third statement of the main theme when a flute (flutes?) picks up the tune. And one thing I'd never noticed before - at the start of the development of the first movement a wonderfully mysterious section that seems to pre-echo Gotterdammerung.  

61dvOFzEyoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Disc 1: K174 and K406

Boulez conducts Webern (6 CD's)

Disc 2. An awful lot of very short things. 

Beethoven: 9 Symphonies (5 CDs)

No. 8. He was in a good mood when he wrote this one.

J.S. Bach: Concertos for solo instruments (5 CDs)

Disc 5 - Violin Concertos 1041 + 2 and Two Violins 1043. Absolutely spiffing, as Bach himself might have said (not sure how it translates). 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_VvBHxOvwglVRCTpkZLrMI0001141391.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

PC off latter - heard bits of it on the car radio whilst doing local chores last week and dug out this BBC Music Magazine cover disc. Afraid it didn't keep my attention. The mid-19thC remains a bit of a black hole for my ears.  

Handel: Concerti Grossi, Op. 6 Nos. 1-124736805f7f572fa118904dcd286a3009.jpgFavourite Opera Intermezz

Disc 2 of the Freddie; Op 132 of the Wiggy; all of the Mantovani (a lovely disc but I couldn't helped but be reminded of his nibs on some of the pieces) . 

Just watched yesterday's BBC 4 programme on Maxwell Davies which was very enjoyable. Biggest mystery....how did a working class lad from Salford end up with an accent straight out of Eton? 

51SL87W7qNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

St Thomas Wake - the Prom footage of this from the above programme showing 'serious music lovers' letting their hair down was really embarrassing. Reminded me of that dreadful thing they used to do, braying some insider joke in unison before the concert and during the interval to polite titters. They seem to reserve this for a charity appeal nowadays based on my last few Proms. Still pretentious but pretentiousness in a good cause.