What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51gawBY93LL.jpg

Charles Ives: Fourth Symphony; Robert Browning Overture; Orchestral Songs / Stokowski, American SO, et al (Columbia)

as heard in this set ...

71oqPu7Ak2L._SX500_.jpg

At the end of the day, Stoki's reading of Ives' Fourth Symphony lacks so many of the details and refinements that MTT illuminates in the work. 

Even so, there's something very special about Stoki's recording.  He believes in the music, in Ives.  You can hear it.  

Edited by HutchFan

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

51gawBY93LL.jpg

Charles Ives: Fourth Symphony; Robert Browning Overture; Orchestral Songs / Stokowski, American SO, et al (Columbia)

as heard in this set ...

71oqPu7Ak2L._SX500_.jpg

At the end of the day, Stoki's reading of Ives' Fourth Symphony lacks so many of the details and refinements that MTT illuminates in the work. 

Even so, there's something very special about Stoki's recording.  He believes in the music, in Ives.  You can hear it.  

I agree completely. This, and a number of Ives pieces, can absorb different approaches. I also have the 4th by Serebrier.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

NP:

R-10686995-1502570136-9457.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Canteloube: Songs of the Auvergne (Complete) / Netania Davrath (sop), Pierre De La Roche (cond) (MHS; originally Vanguard)

Desert-island music.

46 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I agree completely. This, and a number of Ives pieces, can absorb different approaches. I also have the 4th by Serebrier.

:tup:tup:tup 

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

R-10686995-1502570136-9457.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Canteloube: Songs of the Auvergne (Complete) / Netania Davrath (sop), Pierre De La Roche (cond) (MHS; originally Vanguard)

Desert-island music.

:tup :tup Will have to play that one later! 

NP. 

Janacek-Lutoslawski-Szymanowski-Isabelle

NP:

51V-YIOsitL._SX355_.jpg

Beethoven: The Piano Sonatas / Rudolf Buchbinder (Teldec)

Disc 1
- Piano Sonata No. 3 in C major, Op. 2/3
- Piano Sonata No. 4 in E flat major ('Grand Sonata'), Op. 7
- Piano Sonata No. 6 in F major, Op. 10/2
- Piano Sonata No. 9 in E major, Op. 14/1

Earlier:

01.jpg

Outstanding. 

56 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

51V-YIOsitL._SX355_.jpg

Beethoven: The Piano Sonatas / Rudolf Buchbinder (Teldec)

Disc 1
- Piano Sonata No. 3 in C major, Op. 2/3
- Piano Sonata No. 4 in E flat major ('Grand Sonata'), Op. 7
- Piano Sonata No. 6 in F major, Op. 10/2
- Piano Sonata No. 9 in E major, Op. 14/1

What do you think about Buchbinder`s Beethoven .... ?

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

What do you think about Buchbinder`s Beethoven .... ?

I like Buchbinder's Teldec cycle very much.  (I haven't heard his more recent live cycle on RCA.)  IMO, he's at his best in the early- and middle-period sonatas.

I think of him as a "down-the-middle"-type interpreter (like Brendel, maybe?) -- but with a lyrical streak.  His lyricism and sense of time are what initially caught my ear.

44 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I like Buchbinder's Teldec cycle very much.  (I haven't heard his more recent live cycle on RCA.)  IMO, he's at his best in the early- and middle-period sonatas.

I think of him as a "down-the-middle"-type interpreter (like Brendel, maybe?) -- but with a lyrical streak.  His lyricism and sense of time are what initially caught my ear.

Thnx for your feedback .... "down-the-middle" hits the spot of my sentiment .... still quite an achievement to play the music this way at all, but not my favorite approach .....

18 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

John Adam’s conducting Germany’s ‘Ensemble Modern’ (Ives 4) is my go-to recording, fwiw.

It’s an expanded orchestra-size group, and not the typically smaller chamber-size Ensemble Modern config (but the EM is at its core).

A bit tricky to find on CD (I ordered  mine directly from the EM website 15+ years ago), but there are download options available - though be careful, I understand some download sites only have like 15-seconds(!) of the second movement (and the free streaming version on YouTube is the same).

The CD version (which I have) is just 30 minutes long - but was worth every single penny (imho).

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Ives-Fourth-Symphony/release/8369773

6 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

John Adam’s conducting Germany’s ‘Ensemble Modern’ (Ives 4) is my go-to recording, fwiw.

It’s an expanded orchestra-size group, and not the typically smaller chamber-size Ensemble Modern config (but the EM is at its core).

A bit tricky to find on CD (I ordered  mine directly from the EM website 15+ years ago), but there are download options available - though be careful, I understand some download sites only have like 15-seconds(!) of the second movement (and the free streaming version on YouTube is the same).

The CD version (which I have) is just 30 minutes long - but was worth every single penny (imho).

I like that version very much too!

:tup:tup:tup 

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yes, you're right, 2nd movement )Allegretto) only 12 seconds long on Spotify! I sent a request to Ensemble Modern to make it at least 24 seconds.  

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Actually Buchbinder's Beethoven piano Sonatas are among my very favorites. I have his box set on RCA and am highly pleased with it.

Thnx for your feedback .... btw I believe we are blessed having a number of hear worthy Beethoven piano cycles on offer ....