What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NC0xNDM5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Disc 4 - Oistrakh plays Beethoven:
- Violin Concerto in D, Op. 61 - with André Cluytens & the Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Française
- Violin Sonata No. 9 in A, Op. 47 'Kreutzer' - with Lev Oborin

and

Ny04Njc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Over the last decade or so, I've probably played this Tchaikovsky/Sibelius VCs album as much as any classical disc in my collection.  And I've definitely heard more from Oistrakh than any other violinist (in a soloist's role).

On 9/18/2023 at 5:38 AM, HutchFan said:

Do you mean other Shostakovich symphonies in Haitink's cycle?  Or do you mean other Shostakovich symphonies -- in general -- among the 15 that he composed?

If it's the latter, I would suggest looking into the Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, Tenth, Thirteenth, and Fifteenth.

IMO, the two most impressive recorded cycles of Shostakovich's symphonies were both made in the Soviet Union -- by conductors Kirill Kondrashin (with the Moscow PO, recorded between 1962 and 1975) and Gennadi Rozhdestvensky (with the USSR Ministry of Culture SO, recorded in the 1980s). 

Yes.  It's magnificent.  :tup 

Haitink's cycle ... ?

47 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

Haitink's cycle ... ?

I love Haitink's DSCH 8.  The others . . .  not so much.  They're a bit too staid and by-the-book for me.  

OTOH, others listeners love Haitink's cycle.  IIRC, the Penguin Guide authors did.  It all depends on what you're drawn to.

For me, Shostakovich's music -- at heart -- should sound anguished and driven and despairing and sardonic.  Haitink's temperament -- his coolness and reserve -- serves him very well in certain repertoire.  But I think Shostakovich fares better with more extroverted conductors.  And I think Russian/Soviet conductors who lived in the USSR can bring a special insight to DSCH's music.

My 2 cents.  

Edited by HutchFan

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I love Haitink's DSCH 8.  The others . . .  not so much.  They're a bit too staid and by-the-book for me.  

OTOH, others listeners love Haitink's cycle.  IIRC, the Penguin Guide authors did.  It all depends on what you're drawn to.

For me, Shostakovich's music -- at heart -- should sound anguished and driven and despairing and sardonic.  Haitink's temperament -- his coolness and reserve -- serves him very well in certain repertoire.  But I think Shostakovich fares better with more extroverted conductors.  And I think Russian/Soviet conductors who lived in the USSR can bring a special insight to DSCH's music.

My 2 cents.  

Haitink's Shostakovish is a little bit to 'cosey' indeed, especially if you compare his interpretations with the over-emotional Russian interpretations.

The eight symphony is about 'metamorphose' so about ... surviving and celebrating ... post-war emotions. Haitink hits IT ... very well.

Hear someone mentioning his 15 th (maybe i will have go on youtube).

Bye the way ... i have the Kondrashin cycle as some of the Rohzdestvensky symphonies.

I have the Barsai-cycle in high esteem too.

12 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

Hear someone mentioning his 15 th (maybe i will have go on youtube).

Haitink's recording of DSCH's 15th has its advocates, for sure.  Give it a listen and see what you think.

For my money, the finest 15th is the first -- the premiere recording -- made by DSCH's son Maksim for Melodiya:

MDktODM4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Pictured above: the U.S. release on Angel-Melodiya.

IMO, this LP is one of the most powerful DSCH recordings ever made.

45 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

I have the Barsai-cycle in high esteem too.

Yes, I agree.

45 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

For my money, the finest 15th is the first -- the premiere recording -- made by DSCH's son Maksim for Melodiya:

MDktODM4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Pictured above: the U.S. release on Angel-Melodiya.

IMO, this LP is one of the most powerful DSCH recordings ever made.

listening now... Thanks ! 

I'm learning slowly but surely. 

5 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

listening now... Thanks ! 

I'm learning slowly but surely. 

We're all learning from one another!  :tup 

26 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Picked this up a year ago but haven't spent any quality time with it -

MzgtNzQ3MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Wow.  I didn't know about that set.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

We're all learning from one another!  :tup 

a record that has stayed with me after holding it in my hands in a large record hall (10 euro) is this one. haven't heard it, maybe i will have a listen on youtube now .

R-9175262-1476108833-4904.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

On 9/19/2023 at 1:02 PM, Referentzhunter said:

a record that has stayed with me after holding it in my hands in a large record hall (10 euro) is this one. haven't heard it, maybe i will have a listen on youtube now .

R-9175262-1476108833-4904.jpg

I'm not familiar with that one.  I'll check it out.

CORRECTION:
I actually have this recording.  It's in the big EMI box that I posted above.  I'd just never seen that cover photo before, so I didn't recognize it.  :P 

Edited by HutchFan