What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Screenshot-2024-01-31-102226.jpg

Recorded "live" @  "Brucknertage St Florian" Stiftsbasilika St Florian on August 18th, 2017 .... Celibidache protegee Remy Ballot takes his time .... for me an excellent and the most memorable performance from this Bruckner cycle ....

More Dvořák:

61-E0UWlBFL._SX599_.jpg

IMO, Barbirolli's Dvořák 8th with the Hallé is one of the finest recordings of this work -- right up there with Kubelik, Kertesz, et al.

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Thereof Toccata op 7 + Fantasia op 17 recorded in 1970 .... 😍superb😍 ....

soulpope -- I'm curious: Were these Vedernikov recordings originally issued on Melodiya? 

If so, did Denon have a Melodiya licensing & reissue program like Angel/EMI and Columbia did in the 1970s? 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

soulpope -- I'm curious: Were these Vedernikov recordings originally issued on Melodiya? 

If so, did Denon have a Melodiya licensing & reissue program like Angel/EMI and Columbia did in the 1970s? 

This not easy to be answered especially as a lot infos remains (to me) unavailable due to being written either in russian or japanese font.

His Beethoven and Bach recordings issued on Denon were originally Melodiya releases .... but there are also broadcast recordings and I suspect Schumann Toccata op 7 + Fantasia op 17 recorded in 1970 is such a case ....

Based on the forementioned there had to be a licensing deal between Denon and Melodiya .... but remember, the Denon releases started in the mid90`s, when - based on the breakdown of Soviet Union - things were in "free flow" ....

But Anatoly Vedernikov was - due to stiff competiton from contemporaries -seemingly not considered premier line of Russian pianists, f.i he was not even granted a release within the highly acclaimed BMG/Melodiya 20 CD series "Russian Piano School" from 1996 ....

Nevertheless, if you can get your hands on any of his Beethoven or said Schumann Denon CD´s don`t hesitate ....

10 minutes ago, soulpope said:

This not easy to be answered especially as a lot infos remains (to me) unavailable due to being written either in russian or japanese font.

His Beethoven and Bach recordings issued on Denon were originally Melodiya releases .... but there are also broadcast recordings and I suspect Schumann Toccata op 7 + Fantasia op 17 recorded in 1970 is such a case ....

Based on the forementioned there had to be a licensing deal between Denon and Melodiya .... but remember, the Denon releases started in the mid90`s, when - based on the breakdown of Soviet Union - things were in "free flow" ....

But Anatoly Vedernikov was - due to stiff competiton from contemporaries -seemingly not considered premier line of Russian pianists, f.i he was not even granted a release within the highly acclaimed BMG/Melodiya 20 CD series "Russian Piano School" from 1996 ....

Nevertheless, if you can get your hands on any of his Beethoven or said Schumann Denon CD´s don`t hesitate ....

Interesting & helpful.  Vielen Dank!   :tup

Now spinning this Elgar LP:

Ni02NjA3LmpwZWc.jpeg

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

@ "HutchFan" ( or to whom it may concern) :

https://sofronitskydiscographie.wordpress.com/

Look at his uncredible document/discography of Vladimir Sofronitsky (a true labour of love) which gives an idea which sources were used for the Denon Sofronitsky releases ....

Thanks!  :tup

Edited by HutchFan

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

A proven Schumann expert at work on a period piano .... worth hearing for sure ....

30 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

This is one of the best Schumann discs I have!

With recommendations coming from both of you, I will be checking that disc out!  ;)