Ernie Fields

Mark Stryker

Can anyone enlighten me about how exactly the Ernie Fields band sounded in the mid 1940s or point me to representative recordings? Brother Yusef worked him through the Midwest in those years,and I'm interested in understanding the character and style of the group..

Edited by Mark Stryker

OK, here's one - T-Town blues

Harold Bruce, Walter Miller (tp) Parker Berry, Mitchell "Bootie" Wood (tb) Luther West, Harold "Geezil" Minerve (as) Elon Watkins (ts) Leroy "Tex" Cooper (bar) Charles Sherril (p) Butch Lockett (g) Robert "Brooks" Lewis (b) Al Duncan (d) Teddy Cole (vcl)
Linden, N.J., November 29, 1949
1125    T-town blues (unknown vcl)    Regal 3249, Delmark DL439

It says the vocalist is unknown but I think it's Harold 'Geezil' Minerve. He sang on a Buddy Johnson single a couple of years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpiFLmmpf7k

More later (earlier, if I can find them).

MG

Can't find anything else before the sixties on YouTube. Not even the 1957 single with Booker Ervin in the band.

The Delmark LP listed is a joint effort with Cab Calloway - Big band jazz Tulsa to Harlem.

MG

4 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

The Delmark LP listed is a joint effort with Cab Calloway - Big band jazz Tulsa to Harlem.

MG

A fine 'LP for all those who are not too "brain-heavy" in the appreciation of jazz from that period and like to take their music with a grain of light-heartedness, appreciating examples of what ACTUALLY made the African-American community shake a leg to in those years.
"Que pasa Chica" and "Shotgun Boogie" by the Cab have proven their worth as excellent record hop fare among those around here who are into swing and jump blues.

I doubt, though, that Yusef Lateeef is in the Ernie Fields band lineup. I cannot see any "Bill Evans" credited there

BTW, two tracks by a Jimmy Hamilton-led pickup group from (probably) 1953 are also on that record.

5 more reissued Ernie Fields tracks from 1949 (originals recorded for Gotham) can be found on Krazy Kat LP KK 814 ("Big Band Blues").