Lalo Schifrin

Teasing the Korean

26 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm coming cold to this but is that Dirty Harry suite commercially available in that form?

I don't think so.  It appears to be drawn from the soundtrack CD on Schifrin's Aleph label. 

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I never had an opportunity to see Schifrin perform with Dizzy.  But I think Schifrin did his best work with Diz -- even tho' I've only heard the recordings.  ;) 

These two albums in particular:

51ThB1rQN+L._UX600_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg

71OOqVKwznL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Yeah, agreed!

On 2/20/2016 at 10:36 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Let's talk about Lalo Schifrin.

Do you have any favorites?  Jazz, film, TV?

The theme for Mannix is great. It has a feeling of that "1960s optimism" to it (though I'm too young to know first hand myself) and a kind of mixture of suspense and luxury which applies to some of the great movies/TV series of that time.

Edited by Daniel A

40 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Probably is. I was just very taken by that presentation at the time and thought I'd ask

It doesn't look like there was any surgery going on.  I think the person who compiled the suite used existing tracks from the CD.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The theme for Mannix is great. It has a feeling of that "1960s optimism" to it (though I'm too young to know first hand myself) and a kind of mixture of suspense and luxury which applies to some of the great movies/TV series of that time.

Yeah, and the bridge is just killer.  

On 2/22/2016 at 11:16 PM, JSngry said:

You'll want to see/hear the Mission Impossible episode that Ellis scored

It's on the 6-CD Mission Impossible TV series box set.  I need to revisit the Don Ellis score.  That box set was a real slog for me because of the series' over-reliance on military snare drums, especially in the earlier seasons.  You know the Groucho Marx joke...