All Syliphone cat + 000s radio tapes at Brit Lib for public listening!

Ripping my Bembeya Jazz National CDs to my pc today, I went to Dr Graeme Counsel's Radio Africa page to find the news that the British Library project to archive the entire Syliphone catalogue, plus hundreds of tapes done for radio broadcasts, has now been completed and is available for interested listeners on line!

This is an incredibly valuable piece of work. I haven't looked at it yet but here's the link to Dr Counsel's introduction to the archive, which includes a direct link into the archive.

http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/endangeredarchives/2016/01/syliphone-collection-guinea-sounds.html

There's YEARS of listening in this, folks.

MG

I had a listen to one of the two Fode Baro tracks in the archive. It was a track from his first Syllart album (issued on Sterns as 'Donsoke') and it WAS the Syllart recording, not a live performance. I need to read the intro by Janie someone, because it seems pretty unhelpful. Neither Fode Baro cut bore a title. But the Bembeya Jazz National listing includes several versions (which may or may not be the same) of a good number of titles. Maybe Janie explains stuff about sources or some other helpful stuff. Will report further.

MG