miles at cellar door

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

hello. don't know if this was mentioned-but portions of all 4 nights of the cellar door shows from 12/70 are up on sharingthegroove.org

i don't think it is everything but about 2 CDs worth per night.

sharingthegroove is very strict about what music is "OK" to share and what is not so i guess these shows passed the test.

i am really enjoying them and would recommend checking them out if you have a high speed internet connection.

there is also some other great music up there as well-i have recently downloaded some live mclaughlin/santana, some hendrix/larry young session stuff, mahavishnu's "wild strings" bootleg, some live zappa...you get the idea...

someone had been criticizing this site a while ago on this board, i but i don't really think they understood what was going on-it's not like napster or kazaa-no official releases-just "liberated" bootlegs and live recordings.

anyway i sound like i work for them, but it is a good site to get some interesting live music and i thought these cellar door shows would be of particular interest.

This "official bootleg" release was already discussed here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4491

sharingthegroove is very strict about what music is "OK" to share and what is not so i guess these shows passed the test.

What are their criteria for such an "OK"?

While I don't quite agree with the logic of that statement, basically Sharingthegroove prohibits anything that's been commercially released on official CDs. They are pretty strict about that. I have noticed some live shows (mostly European radio broadcasts) that have been released on CDs in the past, but a lot of those seem to be on "questionable" Euro bootleg labels.

Guest akanalog

well perhaps the hippies who run sharingthegroove do not consider it a violation until the material is released offically. perhaps as far as they know it is just another recording someone made of some miles davis shows. i mean i am not sure-does columbia or the davis estate own all davis recordings-or just offical releases? back when miles davis was playing i supposed most musicians did not have a "taping" policy as many bands do today.

i guess there is some zappa up there too and i think he had a strict policy though in this case i would not mind sticking it to his estate who seem to be pretty ungenerous when offering official live recordings to the public. i mean i am sure if they released some music in a way somewhat similar to the grateful dead and the dick's picks series or phish and their live phish series or even king crimson and their collectors club, people would happily pay money.

Analog, Columbia has plans to release six cds of the Cellar Door material, the cds are all sequenced and mixed and ready to print. I don't think they would be happy about this! I'm not pointing fingers really because my hands aren't clean, but the Miles Davis estate has been blocking the sales of all kinds of bootleg cds of Miles material, they would not be happy with this site even if Columbia weren't about to launch cd sales of the material sometime in the next year.

Frank Zappa had actually issued an entire series of cds called I think "Ban the Boots"---bootlegs done officially in a special series. I don't know what the sales figures were, but it was done (I'm not much of a Zappa fan so I didn't follow the material closely). I don't think their estate will like this website much either.

Guest akanalog

it seems like zappa's "ban the boots" series was more of an anti-piracy move than a pro-fan move consideting the horrible quality of most of the releases.

not that this makes it better or worse in any way.