Armstrong film discovered

BillF

Cool!  Thanks for posting this, if for no other reason to alert me to the "Plays King Oliver" album, which I had somehow missed.  That's embarrassing for someone who has been listening to Satch as long as I have--but also wonderful.  I'll have a new (to me) album to listen to soon!

gregmo

41 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Cool!  Thanks for posting this, if for no other reason to alert me to the "Plays King Oliver" album, which I had somehow missed.  That's embarrassing for someone who has been listening to Satch as long as I have--but also wonderful.  I'll have a new (to me) album to listen to soon!

gregmo

this 2015 version has 2 alternate takes that are supposedly not on other cd issues

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/70944/louis-armstrong/the-complete-satchmo-plays-king-oliver

147154.jpg

147154_1.jpg

1 hour ago, l p said:

this 2015 version has 2 alternate takes that are supposedly not on other cd issues

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/70944/louis-armstrong/the-complete-satchmo-plays-king-oliver

147154.jpg

147154_1.jpg

If we believe the story, this must be from some sort of needle drop or tape copy, since the Master Tapes have been long held by a man who buys from storage.  And now, it looks like the LA Museum/House  owns the tapes as well as the film.  Perhaps Ricky and those folks will do a 100% legit issue, with a DVD from the sessions...